Winter 2023-2024 | Discussion and Outlooks

NKYSnowLover

1 hour ago, MesoscaleBanding said:

Hints of a reload at the end of the GEFS with an impressive Arctic air mass building in central Canada...

gefs.png

Glad it looks like the cold returns. We’ll just call the short warm up the January thaw for now lol.

• LIKE 1

• Social Media Crew

Somewhere on one of the threads I swear I saw @MaineJay and @Poco mention a retrograding low in the Aleutians.. Is this the one? Would correlate with the first week of February.. and maybe even some good transitions on the teleconnections.. and the MJO.. if all goes according to plan? IMG_0886.gif.24ddad972f809a1ce46ff84e757388c9.gif

42 minutes ago, SNOWBOB11 said:

18z GFS basically only had a 4 day warm up starting on the 22nd. Temps get back cooler around the 26th.

I usually turn to the ensembles over operationals for these types of situation. No torch but so far a weeks worth of 5-10 above average here. As long as there's no big rain soakers I can deal with yet another 3 or 4 days of basically what was the last 1.5 months. Anything longer than that I'm just going to be over it

download (2).png

Edited by Ohiobuckeye45
  • LIKE 1

58 minutes ago, Ohiobuckeye45 said:

I usually turn to the ensembles over operationals for these types of situation. No torch but so far a weeks worth of 5-10 above average here. As long as there's no big rain soakers I can deal with yet another 3 or 4 days of basically what was the last 1.5 months. Anything longer than that I'm just going to be over it

download (2).png

True. We really don’t need extended warmth now. Hopefully just a pattern reload.

• LIKE 1

47 minutes ago, Ohiobuckeye45 said:

This really is Christmas 2022 deja vu.

Given the MJO lag and high amplitude we could spend weeks above average, no?

By the end of the month we're not even back to 7 yet, let alone 8/1/2

GEFS (1).png

Shades of last winter,  just the brief cold burst happened in mid Jan rather than late Dec. Looks like wall to wall warmth aside from this one cold blast.

• THUMBS DOWN 1

On 1/4/2024 at 6:25 PM, Hoosier said:

With all the action coming up, somebody in the Midwest could very well get a couple feet of synoptic snow over the next couple weeks.  Just can't pinpoint where.

The answer is Iowa.  Actually some spots in eastern IA exceeded 30" in the past week, which this map doesn't pick up on.  Unfortunate that the OV really got screwed.

snow7dy.thumb.png.5126f9a3fc6adc45a9c837f863227c50.png

• SHOCKED 1
  • SAD 1

28 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

The answer is Iowa.  Actually some spots in eastern IA exceeded 30" in the past week, which this map doesn't pick up on.  Unfortunate that the OV really got screwed.

snow7dy.thumb.png.5126f9a3fc6adc45a9c837f863227c50.png

They've got a shot or 2 to add before the warm up moves in too. No monsters but another 6" total wouldn't be out of the realm

• LIKE 1

1 hour ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

image.thumb.png.9cdaaf0da49beb45cddf8028c286d90b.png

Mid February 😬 let's speed that up, the lag would take us deep in to February. I know MJO is only one component of long range but we don't need any additional hindrances 

global_nao_2024011412.png

global_ao_2024011412.png

• THUMBS UP 1

Reminds me of 2019-20. The 2nd week of January was cold with nuisance snow in Northern MD, and winter bailed after that. I think the ugly phases of the MJO occurred also at that point. Also, the MJO can get stubborn and stall in a phase before entering the COD.