Winter 2023-2024 | Discussion and Outlooks

NKYSnowLover

6 hours ago, MaineJay said:

I still expect the pattern to retrograde similar to December. -NAO spike, the ridge moves west to Hudson Bay, and *some* degree of troffing in the Alaska region, resulting in a +EPO.  Not trying to be Debbie downer, but until the cold actually arrives, I'm skeptical of it's staying power.

eps_z500a_namer_46.thumb.png.1003e154cd1e897f4309aa8d81c52e05.png

I am in the skeptical camp as well with staying power, thats not to undermine next weeks cold which is clearly stealing the headlines, but yes lets get to this weekend when the cold actually arrives and then look at the 8-14 day window to see where we stand. I got mega burned last December thinking that our record shattering cold meant good things to come and we all know how the rest of last winter turned out after the 4-5 day cold bout

Edited by Ohiobuckeye45
  • LIKE 1

• Moderators

GFS and EPS are fairly similar in days 1-10 for anomalies. 

Spoiler

gfs5-10.thumb.png.fafbe7e7b369bdc232e2316c75ef7e93.pngeps5-10.thumb.png.05af3057e1c4f039e224645a61908643.pngimage.thumb.png.77f3764b69bd189f3eb0f20fac1f9dcf.pngimage.thumb.png.11b4c7a69d477b1f72adcc8c1123a223.png

EPS warms it up for days 10-15. GFS still keeping us in the icebox

eps10-15.thumb.png.9ac053b4e8ea563681b121bd4bb6b897.png

gfs10-15.thumb.png.2b62deb14fdd4e4d546b4ba03f5bd20b.png

• Meteorologist
15 hours ago, RobB said:

In the longer 12 to 16 day range, the 12Z GEFS has it warming up some..

image.thumb.png.910fb5d202ced55d35435ad3f8f9d5d8.png

It does look like we will have a brief warming toward the end of the month first few days of February which I think will be fine. With MJO heading towards 7-8 for February the cold and snow should return.

8 hours ago, StretchCT said:

Did we confirm SSW/pv split and this cold outbreak are related?

gfs-ens_Tz10_nhem_fh-72-384(1).thumb.gif.9c11cdb9e16daa9b82acd2ff94253031.gif

This cold outbreak may be due to the early December warming slight PV stretching event. This would be wayyy too quick for this warming event which would impact us around the beginning of February time frame. If we had an actual split occur the pattern would just keep reloading for us instead of a slight warming timeframe at the end of the month to the beginning of February.

Shame the one guy left he would be in heaven with the snows of recent and the ensuing cold outbreak in the midwest.

• LIKE 1

27 minutes ago, so_whats_happening said:

It does look like we will have a brief warming toward the end of the month first few days of February which I think will be fine. With MJO heading towards 7-8 for February the cold and snow should return.

This cold outbreak may be due to the early December warming slight PV stretching event. This would be wayyy too quick for this warming event which would impact us around the beginning of February time frame. If we had an actual split occur the pattern would just keep reloading for us instead of a slight warming timeframe at the end of the month to the beginning of February.

Shame the one guy left he would be in heaven with the snows of recent and the ensuing cold outbreak in the midwest.

Yup Wisconsin has been/is ground zero

• Meteorologist
1 hour ago, Ohiobuckeye45 said:

Already consistent ensembles signs that the 22nd+ begins the warmer weather again, struggle to even get below 32. And before people come at me about averages, the average is the red/blue line haha

download (3).png

download (2).png

Yea a run through 4-6 in January will do that. Not to say this will go full on torch mode toward the end of the month but the speed of the MJO wave should at least help us not blaze the eastern US.

nino_4_gen_mid.png

nino_5_gen_mid.png

nino_6_gen_mid.png

• THUMBS UP 1

So the eastern U.S. waits for weeks on end to finally get a wintry pattern...andddddd once we finally lock one in, it looks to disintegrate in a little over a week. Fantastic. Hopefully, it's just a brief blip & we get a quick reload. 🙄

timberlake.gif

warm1.png

warm2.png

Edited by MesoscaleBanding
  • LIKE 2
  • THUMBS UP 1