Winter 2023-2024 | Discussion and Outlooks

NKYSnowLover

• Admin
51 minutes ago, NWOhioChaser said:

Now all we just need is some good moisture to link up with the timing of the cold to make it everyone’s worthwhile.

We've just got so much rain. Since Dec 16 I'm at almost 10" of just rain. Add 15" of snow on that.  It's been real hard on the roads.

• SHOCKED 3
  • FLUSHED 2

1 minute ago, MaineJay said:

We've just got so much rain. Since Dec 16 I'm at almost 10" of just rain. Add 15" of snow on that.  It's been real hard on the roads.

Eek!

7 hours ago, RobB said:

1/10 0Z NAEFS 

2024011000_054@007_E1_north@america_I_NAEFS@TEMPERATURE_anomaly@probability@combined@week2_198.png

I would expect that this becomes a common very setup over the next two months.  Sucks that March is already in the crapper in terms of warming up.

Edited by Al_Czervik
  • SHIVERING 1

48 minutes ago, Al_Czervik said:

I would expect that this becomes a very setup over the next two months.  Sucks that March is already in the crapper in terms of warming up.

March is 2 months away. A lot can and will change by then. I'm just glad we are getting a winter of any kind after that abysmal December. 

• THUMBS UP 3

1 hour ago, Arctic Outbreak said:

March is 2 months away. A lot can and will change by then. I'm just glad we are getting a winter of any kind after that abysmal December. 

These things can impact an area for two months or more.  Especially if the Western Ridge becomes established.  

• LIKE 1

13 minutes ago, Al_Czervik said:

These things can impact an area for two months or more.  Especially if the Western Ridge becomes established.  

I'll believe that when I see it can even become established for 2 weeks let alone 2 months

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 2

19 minutes ago, Cdfarabaugh said:

How long can cold last if source regions up north are warm? 

Don't forget, above normal temps well up north temperatures are still cold.  Slide it down south, can and often does bring colder than average temps to those areas.

• LIKE 2

31 minutes ago, Cdfarabaugh said:

How long can cold last if source regions up north are warm? 

along with what Rob said, you also have to consider that the colder air at times is "displaced" from where it should be as a nearly 1:1 correlation, If you tie out the NAEFS posted map above with the below you can see temperatures are actually close to the same in those warmer than average areas in Canada and the northern 1/3 of the US

As long as that pocket is displaced OR there is a dumping mechanism (western ridge) that allows cold air from Canada to act as a slide from NW to SE right down in to our neck of the woods

image.thumb.png.a08b79e08c433f72bf1d2f5f09aa3425.png

Edited by Ohiobuckeye45
  • THUMBS UP 2

13 hours ago, Arctic Outbreak said:

March is actually only 50 days away— I was going to say seven weeks but then realized about Leap Year Day, delaying March by one day.

• Admin

I still expect the pattern to retrograde similar to December. -NAO spike, the ridge moves west to Hudson Bay, and *some* degree of troffing in the Alaska region, resulting in a +EPO.  Not trying to be Debbie downer, but until the cold actually arrives, I'm skeptical of it's staying power.

eps_z500a_namer_46.thumb.png.1003e154cd1e897f4309aa8d81c52e05.png

• LIKE 1

1 hour ago, MaineJay said:

I still expect the pattern to retrograde similar to December. -NAO spike, the ridge moves west to Hudson Bay, and *some* degree of troffing in the Alaska region, resulting in a +EPO.  Not trying to be Debbie downer, but until the cold actually arrives, I'm skeptical of it's staying power.

eps_z500a_namer_46.thumb.png.1003e154cd1e897f4309aa8d81c52e05.png

One thing to keep in mind is by then there should be a sizable snowpack. Something December never had

• LIKE 1

24 minutes ago, Grace said:

UKMET says winter is sticking around through Spring. A 3 month mean of -EPO, -AO, -NAO....trough east. 

Screenshot_20240111-093201_Chrome.jpg

There's a shocker

• LIKE 1