Winter 2023-2024 | Discussion and Outlooks

NKYSnowLover

0z EPS 11-15

Screenshot_20231231-081411_Chrome.thumb.jpg.ca75cf8ed57a14cb0077dde9e95b7efb.jpg

MJO forecast not all that different from JAN, 2010. 

Screenshot_20231231-075924_Chrome.thumb.jpg.d6ed0ed0672c7a39dcf0354028e45e46.jpg

JAN, 2010 the block carrying over from DEC relaxed all but the first few days.

At this point a better block for JAN is showing up through mid-month as seen above verses JAN, 2010 (Late DEC & FEB were best -NAO blocks that winter). 

PNA had recovered a bit to more neutral in 2010,not so much now. So better -NAO block but stronger -PNA. Pattern may be pretty good for everyone west of APPS for the larger part. Strong cold shots possible in heartland. East of Apps still has a shot of winter weather with any secondary SLP's on the southern end of cold fronts. 

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1
  • LOVE 1

12 minutes ago, Hassaywx1223 said:

Man things are about to ramp up real quick it looks like some of the Mets hit the El Niño right on the head I’m ready 

The same way things were looking bland a few days ago then shifted to active is the same way they can shift back or end up with unfavourable storm tracks so I’m going to wait until the systems and cold are a few days out before really believing anything. The models have been too all over the place (not unexpected) to lock anything in.

Having said that it’s great to see an active pattern showing up. But for now still caution.

1 hour ago, SNOWBOB11 said:

The same way things were looking bland a few days ago then shifted to active is the same way they can shift back or end up with unfavourable storm tracks so I’m going to wait until the systems and cold are a few days out before really believing anything. The models have been too all over the place (not unexpected) to lock anything in.

Having said that it’s great to see an active pattern showing up. But for now still caution.

Considering this is for days 10-14, the ensembles have been remarkably consistent with this system. There will be a significant winter storm tracking into the great lakes region on Jan 9th. 

Where the swath of heaviest falls is still unclear, but it will occur somewhere. 

trend-epsens-2023123100-f240.sfcmslp-meanmem.conus.gif

• LIKE 2

• Meteorologist

Absolutely terrible timing for that early next week system with movers coming and flying out on Wednesday. I'll do my best to wish this storm away towards people who can appreciate this storm better than I would. 

• DISAPPOINTED 1
  • CYCLONE 1

8 hours ago, MesoscaleBanding said:

Monster 12z Euro run for the I-70 corridor up into the Northeast - fingers crossed!

euro.png

I can't recall a storm tracking like that occurring (the infamous bowling ball), at least not with such impressive totals. Not too say it can't or won't happen, but it looks fishy. 

Still fun to watch the models try to sort it out.

It's actually epic how much of the Midwest AND OHV cashes in on that.

Edited by StLweatherjunkie
  • LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

The JAN 9 potential winter storm...the A.I products are closer to the 12z EURO & ironically the BSR correlation. BSR is not 1:1 correlation on systems always but can be close at times. Just noticed A.I. & 12z EPS much closer:

Screenshot_20231231-212200_Chrome.thumb.jpg.adc5054630b00e6311a9173457ec2ab2.jpg

Screenshot_20231231-212309_Chrome.thumb.jpg.d10819338265c3c35e3d1057bea2d6ab.jpg

• Admin
On 11/11/2023 at 6:46 AM, MaineJay said:

I feel you, feels "mailed in", but the statistics show climatology generally wins out.

Plus winter is like a football game. One or two events can really dictate the outcome.  A big storm just missing, or hitting, can really skew snowfall, especially in locations that might average a couple feet.  

One thing that seems oddly consistent, at least looking from my house, is weekend storms.  So my "prediction" is storms in the great plains on Wed-thurs, Midwest on Thur-fri, OHV fri-sat, East coast on Sat-sun. Generally speaking.

The weekend storm thing here has pretty much been consistent.

KGYX202312plotP-2.png.6f697d74c9fe87c94b8c2e595d7e727c.png

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_26(1).thumb.png.cfaade85c60ff57003c391ffbe871186.png

• FLUSHED 1

21 hours ago, MesoscaleBanding said:

Monster 12z Euro run for the I-70 corridor up into the Northeast - fingers crossed!

euro.png

That reminded me of this one from 2022.

image.png.5149ccae697c0c7a600b244a6bbaf4b1.png

• WOW 1