Winter 2023-2024 | Discussion and Outlooks

NKYSnowLover

7 minutes ago, beaver56 said:

Just not sure if the cold hype will verify. Hope it does, but if not I will be fine with it.

I’d rather be close to where the boundary sets up. Yes, we need cold if we want snow, but not polar vortex in your back yard cold. 

• Admin
56 minutes ago, MaineJay said:

54 minutes ago, TheBlizzardOf1978 said:

Respectfully please comment on what the maps mean.

jgrc20545-fig-0001-m.thumb.jpg.44c72f9b34168b0f38ec271431194178.jpg

The left hand side is a typical El Niño, the right is the "modoki" flavor.  There will be differences in how this is interpreted.  My opinion is that this El Niño is the former, just accelerated by a couple/few months.

I believe this Niño official kicked off in AMJ, on the earlier side, and that we are seeing it in it's weakening phase soon, if not already.  Whether that makes it a modoki, and behaves in that manner remains to be seen I'd say.

To be honest, part of my thinking is to manage expectations with regards to what pattern a modoki would produce.  Just don't want folks thinking a 2009-10 redux is a given. 

• LIKE 2

Some great long range analysis was given by OHweather on Amwx under the Lakes/OV medium long range winter discussion today. I would recommend checking it out. Some reasons for optimism but also tempered with a realistic outcome for this winter

• LIKE 1