Winter 2023-2024 | Discussion and Outlooks

NKYSnowLover

33 minutes ago, beaver56 said:

Still sucks. 😆 

I actually prefer this than wide spread blue. Being potentially near average in January rather than overwhelmingly cold, may better snow chances 😊

• LIKE 2
  • THUMBS UP 3

42 minutes ago, TheBlizzardOf1978 said:

Your commentary on your posts are appreciated, so don't be afraid to say more, it helps to clarify what we are looking at.

You're looking at a SPV in distress. 

You're also looking at it move towards CONUS but that's not near as important unless the Stratosphere & troposphere are coupled. As SPV weakens they decouple. 

• LIKE 2

59 minutes ago, Grace said:

Be careful biting on model's right now because they all over place with MJO & that massively affects their output. 

This 100 percent. I’ve noticed whenever a pattern adjustment is happening with the mjo going into a different state models are really bad.

• LIKE 2

6 minutes ago, TheBlizzardOf1978 said:

Does this also applied to long-range temperature changes?

I’d say it’s more so to do with system track and precip events than temperature however at this point I’m not taking anything too seriously until it’s within 3-4 days. Having said that with most major models showing a colder trend in the LR I think we’re in good shape. But as always it’s wait and see.

• Moderators

From the CPC discussion that accompanied the updated 3-month outlooks that were issued yesterday 12/21/23.

....The trend signals are weak during JFM for much of the CONUS and Alaska, so the forecast is largely based on patterns associated with El Nino and dynamical model guidance. Some of the guidance is indicating a warmer signal across portions of the Southeast, so some of the areas where near-normal temperatures were indicated last month for JFM are removed. Odds for above-normal temperatures were lowered across the Ohio Valley and Lower Great Lakes due to additional uncertainty associated with the potential for an SSW and to reflect recent model guidance. Near-normal temperatures are favored for the Central and Southern Plains and parts of Southeast during JFM 2024, supported by a consolidation of dynamical and statistical models......

• LIKE 1

I was worried I was going to miss something 1st week of Jan as I will be in San Diego for a sales conference until Jan 6th, doesn't look like I have to worry about missing anything...

• Meteorologist
2 hours ago, Grace said:

Well...

GEFS 50mb Control

Screenshot_20231222-124716_Chrome.thumb.jpg.a68158229f431183f2d578957ee1aa18.jpg

GEFS 10mb Control

Screenshot_20231222-124633_Chrome.thumb.jpg.a91c64dbf7adbae538761a8a2f862b7a.jpg

GEFS 50mb

Screenshot_20231222-125011_Chrome.thumb.jpg.704f466b160df6a33c073b67e76e1e9e.jpg

GEFS 10mb

Screenshot_20231222-124949_Chrome.thumb.jpg.9b55a179739b280985896cb87b29567c.jpg

EXPLANATION: Real good! 😀

I only caution be careful with it being the end of the run. Would much rsther see it look like that at hr 240 but steps are better than nothing else. See if it holds as we get close to the end of the year.

But looks nice, only thing i would expect to change would be a stronger concentration of displaced spv in eurasia versus the stronger lobe over north america. Again plenty of time for this change you just dont want the weight of the cold over this side just enough of a change to help things out. Too much cold and the SE has all the fun...

• LIKE 3