Winter 2023-2024 | Discussion and Outlooks

NKYSnowLover

1 hour ago, Grace said:

Things still look on par for colder weather 2nd week of JAN lasting for a bit, but we will warm again 2nd half of JAN at some point before turning cold again. 

There will be some ups & downs between now & 2nd week of JAN. 

**This is basically the same thing I said last week...no change. 

People gonna be ready to jump off a cliff when January thaw comes after enduring this December.

• THUMBS UP 1

12 hours ago, Hassaywx1223 said:

Don’t know where to put this but for the people saying (warm air warm air warm air) being all pessimistic I squeezed out a beautiful winter night here in northern Ohio even in this El Niño December don’t tell me we can’t get snow or some kinda cold it’s happening here tonight plenty of winter to go 

IMG_3154.jpeg

IMG_3156.jpeg

IMG_3158.jpeg

IMG_3160.jpeg

IMG_3155.jpeg

Lake effect is different than synoptic snow and most people in this forum rely in synoptic snow. Plus, a day or two of temperatures near seasonal normals doesn't get me too excited when the monthly average to date is 7.1F above normal with another week of much above normal temps in the way.

I'm happy that I got 3-4" of snow yesterday, but a white Christmas is far from a guarantee this year even though our historic chances are >90%. 

• LIKE 3
  • THUMBS UP 2

45 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

People gonna be ready to jump off a cliff when January thaw comes after enduring this December.

I am so glad that as I got older, I have tempered any winter weather disappointments I have.  Will always love snow and cold but the warmth does not annoy me as it used to when I was younger. 

• LIKE 4
  • THUMBS UP 1
  • LOVE 1

8 hours ago, RobB said:

I am so glad that as I got older, I have tempered any winter weather disappointments I have.  Will always love snow and cold but the warmth does not annoy me as it used to when I was younger. 

It is funny you mention this.  I love the cold and snow more than anything around Christmas and winter.  But, as I have aged I have become so much better at just going with the flow.  I think some of that is because my kids are past that "magical" age and we all dream of making things as special for them as we can.

Edited by beaver56
  • LIKE 2
  • LOVE 1

I know overall it’s been a bad warm El Niño December, and I know most people don’t live in lake enhanced snow areas. But man let me tell you it’s clear out 2 inches of snow on the ground and it’s already 23 degrees IMBY tonight. the last 48 hours here IMBY with what models are now showing there’s hope it’s certainly winter if we have to sacrifice one more week for this to get constant Christmas or not I’ll do it 

• LIKE 2

Not being a pessimist, but us OV folks may get the cold at some point, but I am very skeptical of the moisture being there consistently. It will take a sustained pattern change, regarding moisture, in the region to change my mind. There is no meteorology to back that statement, but as many state on here about trends being your friend I see a very dry trend continuing. Damn, I hope I am wrong.

• LIKE 2

41 minutes ago, SOMOSnow said:

New temp probability projections from BamWx for January 2-15. 

Screenshot_20231219_191803_Facebook.jpg

They're so full of agendas. They post those thoughts but have spent 72 hrs getting traffic by posting every model run that contradicts their very predictions or telling us why we might roast. Then those predictions?????? It's weird but must be helping their business. 

Edited by Grace
  • LIKE 3
  • THUMBS UP 1

8 minutes ago, Grace said:

They're so full of agendas. They post those thoughts but have spent 72 hrs getting traffic by posting every model run that contradicts their very predictions or telling us why we might roast. Then those predictions?????? It's weird but must be helping their business. 

I quit knocking them a while back. Never been much of a fan. Kirk doesn't bother me overall. 

• LIKE 1

GFS has been pretty consistent looking to bring colder conditions behind the system on the 27th-28th. I’m hoping somone can squeak out some snow on the back end on that system and maybe it can stick around for a while with the cooler air.

Today was I believe the only day in December where my daytime high didn’t climb above freezing so far which is shocking that we’ve only had one. That plus a dusting of snow on the ground made me remember that yeah it’s winter.

Hopefully after the 27th-28th system the pattern starts to become less pacific influenced and we get some cold air from the north.

• THUMBS UP 2