Winter 2023-2024 | Discussion and Outlooks

NKYSnowLover

• Moderators
On 12/4/2023 at 1:04 PM, StretchCT said:

Anyone have a link to an EPO index site? 

This is the only one I have. It's daily data.  No chart. No forecast.

https://downloads.psl.noaa.gov/Public/map/teleconnections/epo.reanalysis.t10trunc.1948-present.txt

As far as I know, when they took down the ESRL site, they removed the last place that it was charted and forecasted. I know you know probably all of this Stretch better than me...but for those that don't:

I just try to read EPO myself...this is a classic winter +EPO in my book...troughing off the west coast allows tropical Pacific air to flood the entire continent....although sometimes can be more central-states focused if downstream (Atlantic Ocean supports cold in the east) or all states east of the Rockies with no downstream support. 

Screenshot2023-12-05at2_39_24PM.thumb.png.521f95988bde3ae40e5ba4e748a5bef9.png

So you can see how far north the 540 line is on the 12z Euro....feel like that image was '15-'16

Screenshot2023-12-05at2_45_03PM.thumb.png.cc49e4236be9ebae665bf8dae2686c1c.png

For eastern cold, we'd prefer see ridging spiking up from the Eastern Pacific into Alaska on that 500mb map...it's not a guarantee for cold, but it's one lever that can be pulled to release cold south and east. Here is a brief explanation: https://www.daculaweather.com/4_epo_index.php

• LIKE 2

18 minutes ago, HateWinterWarmth said:

Take care, everyone! Although I've enjoyed interacting with you all, I've decided to call it quits here. May your winters all be white!

Any reason in particular? Gave up on winters?

3 minutes ago, TheComet said:

Any reason in particular? Gave up on winters?

Let's just say I know when I'm not wanted! I'll leave this place to the real meteorologists and stop annoying you all. 

1 hour ago, HateWinterWarmth said:

Take care, everyone! Although I've enjoyed interacting with you all, I've decided to call it quits here. May your winters all be white!

Eh, no one wants to see you leave, buddy. Might just want to tone down on the bittercasting at times, but otherwise, you're good & definitely a wanted member of our forum. 

• LIKE 2
  • THUMBS UP 1
  • LOVE 1

3 hours ago, HateWinterWarmth said:

Come on man stay. We need someone in the most wintery of locales to complain about not enough winter. If you leave we will have to ge stlweatherjunkie or wayuphere to start bitching. 

If not take care and hopefully the -60 makes it to you soon!

Edit: I just read mj post and wanted to clarify to make sure this post is taken correctly @HateWinterWarmth

In my opinion we are all a big family and if you have a cousin with some jacked up opinions it would be familial malpractice not to give them a hard time. It doesn't mean you don't love them. Sincerely meant stay. Hopefully we can give each other a hard time all in good fun.   

Edited by 1816
  • LIKE 6
  • THUMBS UP 1

30 minutes ago, 1816 said:

Come on man stay. We need someone in the most wintery of locales to complain about not enough winter. If you leave we will have to ge stlweatherjunkie or wayuphere to start bitching. 

Or Snobal to throw in the towel

• LIKE 2
  • LAUGH 1

3 hours ago, HateWinterWarmth said:

Let's just say I know when I'm not wanted! I'll leave this place to the real meteorologists and stop annoying you all. 

Need more posters like you in the NW portion of the region to track storms heading our way. 

• LIKE 1

It can't be said enough it's too early to despair about winter & it's too uncertain to get excited about the future. Just enjoy the process! 

I think this will be a fun winter personally, but I also remember that looking back through what I considered great winters were in reality great due to a 2-4 week period. Not many "special" winters where it's wall to wall cold & snow chances. Very rare! That's why they're sooooo talked about. 

Edited by Grace
  • LIKE 5
  • THUMBS UP 2

Best MJO tool available compliments of Paul Roundy. It has 360 days, click on phase & time of year & it'll give you the average composite. 

Screenshot_20231205-200241_Chrome.thumb.jpg.c68ba1e8b0b5c60fa1bcd8e749c28e14.jpg

https://www.atmos.albany.edu/facstaff/roundy/waves/rmmcyc/index200reg.html

Here's early NOV phase 7 vs late DEC phase 7:

NOV 7, Phase 7

Screenshot_20231205-194847_Chrome.thumb.jpg.8b4b21bbe7b23ad01a73d6a34d2de0ef.jpg

DEC 27, Phase 7

Screenshot_20231205-194717_Chrome.thumb.jpg.8e673ffa9209be1319be4a84dd508212.jpg

OCT 8, Phase 8

Screenshot_20231205-195123_Chrome.thumb.jpg.7028d746bc3964c6a91993f2a944abaa.jpg

DEC 27, Phase 8

Screenshot_20231205-195051_Chrome.thumb.jpg.a33573704013a468120ce955022a47bf.jpg

It's the best MJO tool I've used for time of year phase expectations. There are other factors I know & it's not perfect but no MJO tool is. This is based on extensive research & Paul is a true MJO expert. 

• LIKE 1