Winter 2023-2024 | Discussion and Outlooks

NKYSnowLover

Interesting to see the models have a couple half decent threats for the great lakes areas. 4th, 7th and 11th systems have all shifted the snow south a bit and now my area is in the mix for frozen precipitation. We will see.

• LIKE 2

JMA new December Forecast

Screenshot_20231130-174631_Chrome.thumb.jpg.ecc31a98a9740718b8a853c9fc8a44a4.jpg

Most of big cold in Europe & Asia, but that's certainly not a blowtorch CONUS.

JMA old DEC forecast

Screenshot_20231130-175320_Chrome.thumb.jpg.fd6ff2b93d4d9edb353dafda39adea61.jpg

That's a big difference since it's prediction on NOV 13th. And it's a lesson to NOT put much stock in upcoming updates for JAN/FEB. 

Edited by Grace
  • LIKE 2
  • THUMBS UP 2

• Meteorologist
4 hours ago, Grace said:

BOM, Australian....has MJO in Phase 8 pretty quick. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out 

Screenshot_20231130-171504_Chrome.thumb.jpg.e7994476a62d388978fe89204a64a4bc.jpg

Today's GEFS

Screenshot_20231130-173346_Chrome.thumb.jpg.b4e04fdbc9cea2b6bd01663a99fd2b84.jpg

The mode has been for a rather slow progression in the MJO. So I do tend to agree with the GEFS extended a bit more, BOMM has been horrible with MJO forecasts this year. I would expect the cold to come in again last few days of the month to January in the east. Again it does not mean we can't have a bout or two of cold in the east in between then just the overall progression suggests mild across the country except for maybe the PAC NW and the far NE regions.

• LIKE 1

• Meteorologist

Wish I could read the thread but I do not have a twitter account, just doesn't seem worth it to me. Im sure you have seen my post about the look in American Wx, wouldn't expect much to transpire until mid January as far as sensible weather if indeed this type of solution came about. It is usually about two weeks after Urals ridging to when we get solid wave activity to really hit the SPV maybe an actual SSW (not just a warming episode) as we close out the year? Possible but really really far in advance to know for certain. Would like to see some larger storms take shape in the Atlantic to really up the ante going forward.

7 hours ago, so_whats_happening said:

Wish I could read the thread but I do not have a twitter account, just doesn't seem worth it to me. Im sure you have seen my post about the look in American Wx, wouldn't expect much to transpire until mid January as far as sensible weather if indeed this type of solution came about. It is usually about two weeks after Urals ridging to when we get solid wave activity to really hit the SPV maybe an actual SSW (not just a warming episode) as we close out the year? Possible but really really far in advance to know for certain. Would like to see some larger storms take shape in the Atlantic to really up the ante going forward.

Explains MJO related to SSW etc. 

Then big take away:

You need to get Twitter bro! 

• LIKE 4

• Meteorologist
3 hours ago, Grace said:

Explains MJO related to SSW etc. 

Then big take away:

You need to get Twitter bro! 

Thanks for posting. I more so would rather have him (Elon) allow people to read threads versus having to be on a platform. Personally I just do not find social media important enough to create an account forums is about as far as I go with it all. Shame the way of the blog has essentially ceased to exist anymore, just 150 word tidbits that leave folks asking more questions than get answered.

BTW he probably is referencing something like this.

Connection of SSW and MJO.pdf

• LIKE 2

• Meteorologist
Just now, so_whats_happening said:

Thanks for posting. I more so would rather have him (Elon) allow people to read threads versus having to be on a platform. Personally I just do not find social media important enough to create an account forums is about as far as I go with it all. Shame the way of the blog has essentially ceased to exist anymore, just 150 word tidbits that leave folks asking more questions than get answered.

BTW he probably is referencing something like this.

Connection of SSW and MJO.pdf 288.05 kB · 0 downloads

Or even this

Blocking Precursors to SSW.pdf Tropospheric Precursors and Strato Warmings.pdf

• LIKE 2

25 minutes ago, SOMOSnow said:

Wait what? So now you're writing off the entire month of December when that's not even what he said at all? 

It's a lock bro. Wisconsin, literally one of the coldest places in the lower 48, has no chance of catching a stray arctic air mass or 3 this month. None. Zero.  

• TROPHY 1
  • FIRE 2

1 hour ago, 1816 said:

It's a lock bro. Wisconsin, literally one of the coldest places in the lower 48, has no chance of catching a stray arctic air mass or 3 this month. None. Zero.  

Well, on second thought, you're definitely right. Thanks for correcting me. Well done. 

😀 🎯 💯 😂

Edited by SOMOSnow
  • LAUGH 1

21 minutes ago, HateWinterWarmth said:

Average high is 31

How far are you from Milwaukee?  For MKE, the mean maximum temp in December is 36 and the coldest average daily high is 32.5 on the 31st.

Edited by Hoosier

54 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

How far are you from Milwaukee?  For MKE, the mean maximum temp in December is 36 and the coldest average daily high is 32.5 on the 31st.

Pewaukee western burb of Milwaukee basically. Not too far north of my area. Already a thread for possible system Dec9-12th. The rest of December not completely hopeless whether this verifies or not.

Screenshot_20231202_142823_Samsung Internet.jpg

30 minutes ago, Cary67 said:

Pewaukee western burb of Milwaukee basically. Not too far north of my area. Already a thread for possible system Dec9-12th. The rest of December not completely hopeless whether this verifies or not.

Screenshot_20231202_142823_Samsung Internet.jpg

Thanks for the info.  It's important to base expectations on correct info.  I mean, avg highs for MKE and ORD are still 40ish in early December.  It's already snowed a couple times, both MKE and ORD are running above average snowfall to date, and there is another chance of snow in the short range.  Yes, it's going to warm up and I'd agree that the whole month is not hopeless.  Even if December ends up being lackluster, well, that's not all that uncommon in Ninos.  In that case, hope for better in the new year.

• THUMBS UP 1