Winter 2023-2024 | Discussion and Outlooks

NKYSnowLover

I can agree with this based on my records .. the week around Christmas is abysmal for measurable snow in my area.  Hudson Valley not to far off either.  Look at the huge dip in January too .. looking forward to "winter over" posts, during the typical "January Thaw".

png1.png

• LIKE 1

• Meteorologist
7 hours ago, 1816 said:

Honestly I'd be happy if it would just rain like that. 

Yea there were some bad fires down that way. We were getting some low level smoke from it the other week before the slug of rain came through. Typically we should be picking up in the moisture department this time of year in an El Nino hope we don't get another below average month coming up.

• THUMBS UP 1

• Meteorologist
6 hours ago, Grace said:

12z GEFS control, the SPV @ 10mb headed toward a split on that run. It's LR, so something to just watch. 

Screenshot_20231129-123243_Chrome.jpg

Feel like im missing something here... While the one I show has temp in anomalous fashion the look of the SPV looks off. If you could post the 500mb map leading up to this would be helpful in seeing the differences.

gfs-ens_Tz10_nhem_33.png

Edited by so_whats_happening

28 minutes ago, so_whats_happening said:

Im sure many in the upper midwest are quite ok with how things have turned out for November.

MonthTDeptUS.png

MonthTDataUS.png

That's because most people up here wish they lived in Florida lol

56 minutes ago, so_whats_happening said:

Ahhh yes the wonderful landscape of swamp 

Yeah I don't get the allure but it's true. Never met so many people averse to snow and cold until I moved here, which is pretty ironic. 

3 hours ago, so_whats_happening said:

Feel like im missing something here... While the one I show has temp in anomalous fashion the look of the SPV looks off. If you could post the 500mb map leading up to this would be helpful in seeing the differences.

gfs-ens_Tz10_nhem_33.png

I posted that it was the GEFS control. 

14 hours ago, JDClapper said:

I can agree with this based on my records .. the week around Christmas is abysmal for measurable snow in my area.  Hudson Valley not to far off either.  Look at the huge dip in January too .. looking forward to "winter over" posts, during the typical "January Thaw".

png1.png

Don't forget the "It can't snow tomorrow, it was 60 today" comments.  Even though we tend to get at least one or two of those events a year.  Nothing like a good temp gradient to fuel a storm.

• LIKE 1
  • TROPHY 1

1 hour ago, NEPAsnow said:

is that referring to a west based NAO or something different?

The NAO block over Greenland is stronger but I'm pointing to the TPV over Arctic while CanSips forecasted much greater heights. It nailed everything else which is bizarre. While 500mb idms very similar over CONUS the 3m temps verified much warmer. The TPV I pointed out is one reason why. 

Honestly I think we’re going to be open for business sooner than later for this winter the signs are there and the daily models are catching up just my opinion and gut feeling. Same feeling I had last winter that it wasn’t going to be good is opposite right now 

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

30 minutes ago, Hassaywx1223 said:

Honestly I think we’re going to be open for business sooner than later for this winter the signs are there and the daily models are catching up just my opinion and gut feeling. Same feeling I had last winter that it wasn’t going to be good is opposite right now 

I hope you're right. It does look like the cold starts to finally win the battle toward the end of the current runs. We shall see.