Winter 2023-2024 | Discussion and Outlooks

NKYSnowLover

On 11/24/2023 at 7:48 AM, Grace said:

BSR suggests something potentially brewing around DEC 11-13 time frame:

Screenshot_20231124-074309_Chrome.thumb.jpg.a63ed633c64352293e0b1acf94afb6a6.jpg

Screenshot_20231124-074340_Chrome.thumb.jpg.98a7127a5667d400299a930975214822.jpg

Screenshot_20231124-074413_Chrome.thumb.jpg.31b97c67a583df7cb2a72d912368bdc7.jpg

Question is how much cold at that time. If there is enough cold watch out. 🤞

I've been watching East Asia for the time frame that would correlate to above & themes been absolutely no system showing up at all...and boom, a system appeared out of nowhere on GFS & Euro. 

GFS trend:

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_ea_fh246_trend.thumb.gif.fe5f605cb8993bfeaf0ab1a1d1b8c173.gif

Euro, just now coming in range

ecmwf_mslp_pcpn_ea_fh240_trend.thumb.gif.15da2d56ad57bad18a999c997edbb704.gif

Watch the evolution of this over the next 4-5 days because it could be telling if there's anything wintry in the works or not. Remember for your vision, Seoul, South Korea correlates with Paducah, Ky. 

East Asia is only 9-10 days out & models just now coming around to something there so I certainly don't trust LR modeling but FWIW, CFS has something in theceast U.S. 15 days out:

floop-cfs-2023112500.prateptype_cat-imp.conus.gif.e3ef8be3cd094517e1ff40a161a19d8f.gif

Edited by Grace
  • LIKE 3

• Meteorologist
17 minutes ago, SOMOSnow said:

Wichita, KS area won big yesterday. Storm overachieved and outdid the models in spite of the warm ground. 14.1 inches of snow accumulation was highest reported. 

Screenshot_20231126_131833_X.jpg

We never got above 30 here (and maybe not at the airport either) most models had us briefly at 32 or 33 during the afternoon. I think that was the big difference here. 

Edit: Yup, once the snow started the airport never went above 29 degrees. About 2 to 3 degrees cooler than expected.

Edited by Ingyball
  • SNOWMAN 1
  • LOVE 2

9 minutes ago, Ingyball said:

We never got above 30 here (and maybe not at the airport either) most models had us briefly at 32 or 33 during the afternoon. I think that was the big difference here. 

Edit: Yup, once the snow started the airport never went above 29 degrees. About 2 to 3 degrees cooler than expected.

That definitely made a big difference. Happy for you! 

• LIKE 1

Operational models are probably going to be all over the place. They’re always terrible when there’s a pattern change. I like the look of the upcoming pattern. Might be after the first 10 or so days of December before things get going but looks like we have a better chance for some winter weather after that.

2 hours ago, SNOWBOB11 said:

Operational models are probably going to be all over the place. They’re always terrible when there’s a pattern change. I like the look of the upcoming pattern. Might be after the first 10 or so days of December before things get going but looks like we have a better chance for some winter weather after that.

As long as it isn't 62 like it was in 21 I will be fine with about anything

2 minutes ago, TheComet said:

The STJ needs to calm down, else it will be case of cold ousted by storms as they approach, resulting in rain.

That's El Niño for you

14 minutes ago, StormfanaticInd said:

One thing I've noticed in the past several winters is when the long range models predict a torch they are almost always accurate 🙄🙄😆

Exactly - I've said this as well and people act like I'm crazy. OK, maybe I am crazy but it's true. Torches are the one thing the models get right every time. 

3 minutes ago, HateWinterWarmth said:

Exactly - I've said this as well and people act like I'm crazy. OK, maybe I am crazy but it's true. Torches are the one thing the models get right every time. 

Torches and Great Lakes Cutters: I used to live too far east to benefit from cutters— now I live too far west. The result is the same in St. Louis as it was in New York: rain. 

30 minutes ago, StormfanaticInd said:

One thing I've noticed in the past several winters is when the long range models predict a torch they are almost always accurate 🙄🙄😆

Especially at 45 day leads. It's crazy. 

• LAUGH 3