Winter 2023-2024 | Discussion and Outlooks

NKYSnowLover

• Admin
6 minutes ago, HVSNOWSTORM said:

So a plug and play El Nino. Great job guys.

I feel you, feels "mailed in", but the statistics show climatology generally wins out.

Plus winter is like a football game. One or two events can really dictate the outcome.  A big storm just missing, or hitting, can really skew snowfall, especially in locations that might average a couple feet.  

One thing that seems oddly consistent, at least looking from my house, is weekend storms.  So my "prediction" is storms in the great plains on Wed-thurs, Midwest on Thur-fri, OHV fri-sat, East coast on Sat-sun. Generally speaking.

• THUMBS UP 1

11 minutes ago, MaineJay said:

I feel you, feels "mailed in", but the statistics show climatology generally wins out.

Plus winter is like a football game. One or two events can really dictate the outcome.  A big storm just missing, or hitting, can really skew snowfall, especially in locations that might average a couple feet.  

One thing that seems oddly consistent, at least looking from my house, is weekend storms.  So my "prediction" is storms in the great plains on Wed-thurs, Midwest on Thur-fri, OHV fri-sat, East coast on Sat-sun. Generally speaking.

Yeah, weekend weather has been tragic for several months in our region, save a random nice one here and there. I can get on board with that prediction.

31 minutes ago, MaineJay said:

Idk. There are so many factors that go in. And so far, at least the El Nino is not coupling, and acting as an El Nino would. Did not mention anything related to the teles that affect or region in huge ways. No mention of blocking wether it be lots or none. PV etc. 

Pure laziness or simply just are, that closed mined, that when it's an el Nino, nothing can be more impactful than and nothing can change its typical effects on the atmosphere.

For a group of meteorologists, I mean, Idk what to say lol.

25 minutes ago, JDClapper said:

Yeah, weekend weather has been tragic for several months in our region, save a random nice one here and there. I can get on board with that prediction.

Good for my work life, doesn't interfere with jobs (outdoors) yet still get the needed rain. I have no complaints.

• Admin
22 minutes ago, HVSNOWSTORM said:

Idk. There are so many factors that go in. And so far, at least the El Nino is not coupling, and acting as an El Nino would. Did not mention anything related to the teles that affect or region in huge ways. No mention of blocking wether it be lots or none. PV etc. 

Pure laziness or simply just are, that closed mined, that when it's an el Nino, nothing can be more impactful than and nothing can change its typical effects on the atmosphere.

I'm personally waiting on the El Niño. It refers to Christmas time, there's likely a developing kelvin wave that would likely surface near the end of December. Not saying this is a super strong event or anything really, rather that it's exact strength and coincident effects remain largely to be seen., again speaking to the time of year that ENSO events generally have their greatest effects.

We are in the midst of a fairly strong westerly wind burst. This effects of this won't really be felt for weeks, as it takes roughly 3-6 weeks for these oceanic kelvin waves to surface.  Second to that, does it surface right along the Peruvian coast? This would affect regions 1+2 the most.

Or does it surface west of the Galapagos? Keeping the warmest anomalies from really banking up along the SA coast?

u_anom_30.5S-5N(2).thumb.gif.9510ddf7e7f1b4120faf77157347c1aa.gif

4 hours ago, HVSNOWSTORM said:

Good for my work life, doesn't interfere with jobs (outdoors) yet still get the needed rain. I have no complaints.

Speaking random nice weekends... tilled the garden, mowed one last time and dumped the trimmings on said tilled garden, backed the camper up into its off season spot in the driveway, got the deck all "off seasoned" and @StretchCT, I even moved the grill under the deck roof! 😂

• LIKE 3

7 hours ago, JDClapper said:

Speaking random nice weekends... tilled the garden, mowed one last time and dumped the trimmings on said tilled garden, backed the camper up into its off season spot in the driveway, got the deck all "off seasoned" and @StretchCT, I even moved the grill under the deck roof! 😂

I just let mine ruin outside. And have to get a new one every 3 or 4 years. Stupid but just seems to never get done lol. Maybe I'll adjust this year.

• FACEPALM 1

4 hours ago, StormfanaticInd said:

Some good signs heading into December just in wait and see mode right now

I thought the next 6 weeks were a total loss and a waste? I read that somewhere. 😵‍💫

Edited by beaver56
  • THINKING 1

• Admin
On 10/23/2023 at 4:40 PM, Grace said:

The methodology used here seemed to break down, and in fact might show negative skill, as the anomalies might be totally reversed.

MonthTDeptUS(1).thumb.png.91487ded65a7309324e69fcc5daddafe.png

It's only up the the 11th, but the remaining days only exacerbate the map.

gfs_T2ma_us_8(1).thumb.png.b82faa76907eef140bac07474e2dc400.png

Could speak to the lack of influence of the El Niño. Mostly though to the fact that these are statistically based, and are by no means fool proof.

Even with all the advances, forecasting beyond 10 days is nigh impossible.

• LIKE 2

On 11/11/2023 at 7:24 AM, HVSNOWSTORM said:

I enjoy reading through the various forecasts, learning what I can, and appreciating the complexity of it all.  Seems there are always those that can't appreciate we really don't know what we don't know.  We are always learning more and more, how something else affects things in ways we never realized before, and it is all connected.  Anyway, I suspect someone out there is at this moment preparing the most precise, most accurate winter forecast ever, just in time for some event like say, maybe a volcanic eruption in Iceland or some other mischief from mother nature to scramble it all once again.

• LIKE 1