Winter 2023-2024 | Discussion and Outlooks

NKYSnowLover

On 10/19/2023 at 5:31 PM, NEPAsnow said:

Often times it's very hard to break these kind of patterns. They end up just showing up over and over again. Models will show a flip happening in the longer range, then as we get closer, it never does because of the difficulty to break these longer term patterns. So I do think to some extent we could be in decent shape for winter as there isn't any huge atmospheric changes that IMO look to take place soon.

• LIKE 1

43 minutes ago, HVSNOWSTORM said:

Often times it's very hard to break these kind of patterns. They end up just showing up over and over again. Models will show a flip happening in the longer range, then as we get closer, it never does because of the difficulty to break these longer term patterns. So I do think to some extent we could be in decent shape for winter as there isn't any huge atmospheric changes that IMO look to take place soon.

i posted this as a positive for us

• THUMBS UP 1

On 10/16/2023 at 8:43 AM, Grace said:

First, the Siberian snow-cover theory...I just don't have a lot of confidence in it.

Second,  Per that theory it's about snow gain throughout the month of October. Why would Steve talk about that on October 15th?

IMO E Canadian snow-cover is more important for us in the East.

• LIKE 1

On 10/20/2023 at 4:51 PM, Pghsnow said:

NOAA prediction vs actual

NOAA winter forecast vs Actual.JPG

I'll give them 17-18 and 21-22.

15-16, 19-20 were directionally correct, but a bit on the extreme side

What's sad about the actuals image is after 15-16 we've been paying for 13-14/14-15 in the eastern Conus for about 7 years without something even close to relatable to those years

Thanks for posting, as many would attest, I'm a big maps/images post kinda guy 😄, especially when it comes to year over year compares 

Edited by Ohiobuckeye45
  • LIKE 3
  • THUMBS UP 1

34 minutes ago, Ohiobuckeye45 said:

I'll give them 17-18 and 21-22.

15-16, 19-20 were directionally correct, but a bit on the extreme side

What's sad about the actuals image is after 15-16 we've been paying for 13-14/14-15 in the eastern Conus for about 7 years without something even close to relatable to those years

Thanks for posting, as many would attest, I'm a big maps/images post kinda guy 😄, especially when it comes to year over year compares 

And despite what many "mets" in social media hype up, I don't exactly feel all warm and fuzzy about this year either, especially with a strong eastern based El Nin~o. Many times those don't bode well for EC winters. I'll believe it when I see it if this winter comes close to even decent. I guess the MEI value for August-September keeps some hope alive, but remains to be seen what it will be for October-November:

image.thumb.png.6b4a0f2501903316b8ba29debb2c6fdb.png

44 minutes ago, TheComet said:

And despite what many "mets" in social media hype up, I don't exactly feel all warm and fuzzy about this year either, especially with a strong eastern based El Nin~o. Many times those don't bode well for EC winters. I'll believe it when I see it if this winter comes close to even decent. I guess the MEI value for August-September keeps some hope alive, but remains to be seen what it will be for October-November:

image.thumb.png.6b4a0f2501903316b8ba29debb2c6fdb.png

I tend to agree with this sentiment. I do think there's going to be a bunch of moisture running around and there will be major storms/potential, but where they set up is up for debate. What excites me though is that moisture running around the south. That will get drawn upon eventually and some of us are going to get absolutely smoked by a snowstorm and maybe multiple if we get a recurring pattern. 

• LIKE 2
  • THUMBS UP 1

On 10/21/2023 at 10:12 AM, so_whats_happening said:

Been a very long while since we have seen just a powder storm

Pretty sure I lucked out Feb 21, don’t remember sleet sneaking in, rare for sure the past few years for strictly powder. 

• LIKE 1

3 hours ago, StLweatherjunkie said:

Considering 72" would be a near record low amount for my area, I also find it rather amusing. 

I think middle right may be onto the right signal and they're smart enough not to put numbers on anything.

Those are fantasy numbers in SEPA, betting that would be a record year. Record in Harrisburg is 76” in a year, didn’t find my local quickly.   

5 hours ago, TLChip said:

Those are fantasy numbers in SEPA, betting that would be a record year. Record in Harrisburg is 76” in a year, didn’t find my local quickly.   

It's unwise to bet on a record year, just focus on above-average then once you're there ... enjoy it!

Edit: my vague understanding of PA climate is it's really tough to get good snow in SEPA so planning on a couple trips to the mountains would increase your chances ...

Edited by StLweatherjunkie

21 minutes ago, StLweatherjunkie said:

my vague understanding of PA climate is it's really tough to get good snow in SEPA so planning on a couple trips to the mountains would increase your chances ...

You would be correct, big snows in SEPA need a perfect setup. I track and enjoy, learned not to set a bar for the year and you can’t be disappointed 🤣

I pointed that one out as it seems extremely unlikely Del/SEPA out snows Maine. 

• LAUGH 1