Winter 2023-2024 | Discussion and Outlooks

NKYSnowLover

16 hours ago, Arctic Outbreak said:

I love how most meteorologists assume "everybody" is enjoying it

I believe those who actually like cold and snow are, and always have been, a minority

16 hours ago, RobB said:

I love snow and cold as much as anyone but if it is not going to snow, then I'll enjoy the 60s temps. 

I will not lament having 50-60 and getting out fishing and golfing (did both this past week) - instead of facing the prospect of being out in 20-30 even if only to fill up the gas tank. 

16 hours ago, Tater said:

Currently 67 degrees and I'm sweating working outside in short sleeves. Not my kinda February weather. I like spring and fall weather, but not during winter.

Winter sure look to be one week duration in Jan and Feb and then, BOOM - gone. MJO after being very supportive, takes a plunge into the CoD from its Phase 8 AND stay there. To me, that portends an abrupt end to "winter" - outside of rogue surprises as El Nino collapses towards La Nada and eventual Nina. 

image.thumb.png.2308b5fa7ae8d0a5622961d942542d36.png

• THUMBS UP 1

3 hours ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

Winter sure look to be one week duration in Jan and Feb and then, BOOM - gone. MJO after being very supportive, takes a plunge into the CoD from its Phase 8 AND stay there. To me, that portends an abrupt end to "winter" - outside of rogue surprises as El Nino collapses towards La Nada and eventual Nina. 

image.thumb.png.2308b5fa7ae8d0a5622961d942542d36.png

I was promised Winter returns mid-Feb til into March, thank you very much sir.

Color me shocked if it is actually only a 1 to 2 weeks at best window of opportunity again.  🙂

• LIKE 1
  • LAUGH 1

• Meteorologist

Oh boy I do hate to be pessimistic here but anywhere south of the turnpike in PA (outside of elevation) at this point I think it just about done with winter. Ill hold off until we get closer in time to the 18-20th system but it aint lookin good. We did manage to hit double digit snows though this year so that is something of note as we slowly rise up again.

Bring on the spring time weather at this point.

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

Seriously? This has been the warmest least snowy winter I’ve ever experienced. You’d think we would get a shift to a bit of sustained cold but it almost has a look of late spring/summer creeping in.

IMG_0176.thumb.png.8d172b21bdcb414fa577bf4be05b06bb.png

• SHOCKED 1

• Moderators

Pretty sure the calendar is lying. It's currently 46 degrees here with fog/drizzle. Clearly it is April, not February. It's not that warm for April. :classic_rolleyes:

• LIKE 1

I wouldn't mind winter just ending as we get into March. This has been an abysmal season here which was expected due to El Nino.

What I fear is the pattern will flip at some point and we'll be stuck with cold and snow well into April/May. 

• THUMBS UP 2

3 hours ago, Arctic Outbreak said:

So what went wrong this time? It seemed like a perfect setup for wintry weather and it all went kaput. 

Basically there are some competing factors, which suggests that cold is not likely to dominate.  It'll be colder than it was earlier this month, but it looks more up and down.  The regime we're in now and up ahead will at least be capable of producing chances for snow, unlike earlier this month when basically nobody had any chance.

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 2

It’s okay, I’m fine with spring coming. Now less than a month until we spring forward an hour and daytime normal is creeping up to the mid to upper 30s now. I have to get busy and write a list of seeds to order for the garden. Might as well starts seeds sooner than later🤷‍♂️

Edited by NWOhioChaser
  • LIKE 1

Beginning to accept we're now in the lotto phase of "winter" and winter winter has come and gone, seems like just yesterday we were all discussing reading the "backloaded" winter discussions which never came to fruition. While I'm not an advocate of making predictions you literally have no idea about, those who cancelled winter in December were finally right this year lol

FB_IMG_1707810475426.jpg

FB_IMG_1707810854681.jpg

• DISAPPOINTED 1

1 hour ago, StormfanaticInd said:

Winter is over folks. image.thumb.png.a25415db3b8f6a0b8a983b1034b0efb7.png

Yep.  Today’s little northeast storm and a week of seasonable cold then the curtain comes down.

Guess the prognostications of the polar vortex’s vengeful return didn’t quite cut the ol’ mustard.

• Admin
3 hours ago, Ohiobuckeye45 said:

Beginning to accept we're now in the lotto phase of "winter" and winter winter has come and gone, seems like just yesterday we were all discussing reading the "backloaded" winter discussions which never came to fruition. While I'm not an advocate of making predictions you literally have no idea about, those who cancelled winter in December were finally right this year lol

FB_IMG_1707810475426.jpg

FB_IMG_1707810854681.jpg

I wonder how much the backloaded thing was based on the Nino becoming a modoki, because Nino 1+2 is now warmest of all regions. 

nino12.png.2e6306471c5cb4731191d04eea7e946d.png

ct5km_ssta_v3.1_west_current.png

• LIKE 2