Winter 2023-2024 | Discussion and Outlooks

NKYSnowLover

37 minutes ago, BuckeyeGal said:

I posted in the Midwest/Ohio Valley/Great Lakes Daily Discussion about some interesting stuff with the last couple of model runs. I think there are going to be some sneaky events coming up.. and I'm especially intrigued with the 1/4-1/5 system that they've brought back. That may turn into a Nor'easter of some type for all you NE folks. (I'm of course heading to NYC on 1/5.. hahaha.) But really.. thinking big cutter around 1/10 to usher in the cold air/hopeful pattern change, then more things for us to track!

If the developing -nao can lockin the cold once it dumps might be able to override the warm mjo signal. Has happened before and I think Bastardi alluded to this possibility 

• LIKE 3

• Meteorologist
1 hour ago, RobB said:

Vantage Pro 2 December readings in my back yard for December.  Hasn't seemed overwhelmingly warm but pretty meh on the fun scale.

image.thumb.png.ef338e42b22d4840e49b6866c48cfb9f.png

Night time lows are skewing the hell out of mean temps anymore. So yea it really hasn't been all too warm dayside, at night we have been averaging 5-10 above average nearly every night. This has been the case for quite some time in the winter. Summer it tends to not be as noticeable but still present. Spring and fall surprisingly have had close to near normal levels around here for night temps but dayside tends to be a bit warmer.

I do believe NYC will have the warmest year on record in nearly 140-150 years worth of data.

• LIKE 3

1 hour ago, so_whats_happening said:

Night time lows are skewing the hell out of mean temps anymore. So yea it really hasn't been all too warm dayside, at night we have been averaging 5-10 above average nearly every night. This has been the case for quite some time in the winter. Summer it tends to not be as noticeable but still present. Spring and fall surprisingly have had close to near normal levels around here for night temps but dayside tends to be a bit warmer.

I do believe NYC will have the warmest year on record in nearly 140-150 years worth of data.

Very true...I noticed that. Reason why wake times outside don't feel as warm as the anomalies show.  Have lots of nights with clouds that help skew those too.

• LIKE 1

I'm sure wintry weather will come later in the season. Even the mildest El Nino winters gave us some wintry stretches, especially later in the season.

I sincerely hope we won't pay for all this warmth come Spring though. El Nino can be hit or miss for my area when it comes to Spring weather. We've had glorious ones (2010) and horrific ones (2019). 

Edited by Snowgeek93
  • LIKE 1

45 minutes ago, Pghsnow said:

Guys and gals I just want to say thank you for not letting this board devolve into the trash that ALL other weather boards have devolved into. The amount of fighting and hate towards others just because no one has gotten snow is embarrassing. People should be ashamed. Thank you all for being different and sensible. I am as big a weenie as anyone, and want to see snow, but man there is so much more to life. God Bless.

This is the one and only I look at. The fact that people get so worked up over something not one person in the history of all humanity can control is crazy to think about. There are lots of great people on here for sure. 

• LIKE 2
  • THUMBS UP 3
  • TROPHY 1

9 hours ago, Pghsnow said:

Guys and gals I just want to say thank you for not letting this board devolve into the trash that ALL other weather boards have devolved into. The amount of fighting and hate towards others just because no one has gotten snow is embarrassing. People should be ashamed. Thank you all for being different and sensible. I am as big a weenie as anyone, and want to see snow, but man there is so much more to life. God Bless.

Kinda why we are f'ed as a society I hate to say.

Its why I laugh when people get worked up saying humanity will be wiped out by some climate calamity....we are more than capable of doing it ourselves.  

Society is a pot that is coming to an ever more violent boil.  

• THUMBS UP 2

2 hours ago, Cdfarabaugh said:

Its why I laugh when people get worked up saying humanity will be wiped out by some climate calamity....we are more than capable of doing it ourselves.  

Like my dad has said to me since I was a little kid, "never underestimate the power of irrational and ignorant people!" As I have gotten older I understand, sadly. Lots of great people here. 

1 hour ago, beaver56 said:

Like my dad has said to me since I was a little kid, "never underestimate the power of irrational and ignorant people!" As I have gotten older I understand, sadly. Lots of great people here. 

3 hours ago, Cdfarabaugh said:

My sentiment as well. Before any human race annihilating catastrophe strikes, we'll be gone long long before that because the human race wiped itself out being the foolish idiots we are.

Back on topic: I'm trying to get over this bad relationship "winter" 23/24 has been, and I peek at *control* 12Z GFS and it seems to want to troll/taunt/tease a bit. I hear that MJO will be in unfavorable phases rest of Jan 2024, -PNA pumping SER, cold bleeding West and not East, etc., so in my mind I've written winter off at least through entire month of Jan. Are the models sadistic f*ks that like to see NE ppl suffer? Why do I keep doing this to myself? 

20 hours ago, beaver56 said:

This is the one and only I look at. The fact that people get so worked up over something not one person in the history of all humanity can control is crazy to think about. There are lots of great people on here for sure. 

I can understand weather affecting people and not just snow lovers. Even just the lack of sunshine and dreariness can get the best of us as well. Sure we can't control the weather but it can still have a major impact on our moods and psychology. That's why I'm not surprised to see some get worked up about it from time to time.

• LIKE 3

10 minutes ago, Snowgeek93 said:

I can understand weather affecting people and not just snow lovers. Even just the lack of sunshine and dreariness can get the best of us as well. Sure we can't control the weather but it can still have a major impact on our moods and psychology. That's why I'm not surprised to see some get worked up about it from time to time.

I'm one of the few I know that enjoys the lack of sun. I actually get annoyed with sunshine during the December through February time period. My wife is quite opposite 😁

• SHOCKED 1

1 hour ago, RobB said:

I'm one of the few I know that enjoys the lack of sun. I actually get annoyed with sunshine during the December through February time period. My wife is quite opposite 😁

Would you rather...

Have the sun blind you whilst driving during sunrise/sunset or

Bright ass LED lights blind you whilst driving at night.

Gotta choose one! 🤣

• LAUGH 1
  • LOVE 1

24 minutes ago, JDClapper said:

Would you rather...

Have the sun blind you whilst driving during sunrise/sunset or

Bright ass LED lights blind you whilst driving at night.

Gotta choose one! 🤣

LEDs 😁

• LAUGH 1