March 3-4, 2023 | MW/GL Winter Storm

MesoscaleBanding

19 minutes ago, Ohiobuckeye45 said:

snku_acc-imp.us_mw.png

Use depth for a more accurate idea of how much could pile up. 2-5" max, mainly on grassy areas. Yes, during the heaviest snow roads could become slick. But it is extremely unlikely to have a foot of snow pile up when the ground is above freezing for the duration of the event..

image.thumb.png.a02a74f73cf3f02656306fb66c6fdc02.png

14 minutes ago, Shiver Me Timbers said:

Use depth for a more accurate idea of how much could pile up. 2-5" max, mainly on grassy areas. Yes, during the heaviest snow roads could become slick. But it is extremely unlikely to have a foot of snow pile up when the ground is above freezing for the duration of the event..

we went through this a couple times last couple storms...the snow depth maps are terrible hands down, theres not much more I can say on the topic really

• SKEPTICAL 1
  • TROPHY 1

27 minutes ago, Shiver Me Timbers said:

People get bent out of shape with snow depth maps as if 10:1 ratios are gospel. In reality, they’re probably no better or worse than any other modeled forecast. Just depends on the situation. 

• THUMBS UP 1

meh. we pressure tested them on the last (what feels like years ago) storm in the OV and they did absolutely terrible. This will be another good pressure test.....I would put any amount of money @easton229 will send a picture showing more than 2'' on the ground measured.....hell that will fall and stick in 1 hour, let alone the rest of the storm

• THUMBS UP 2

11 minutes ago, Ohiobuckeye45 said:

meh. we pressure tested them on the last (what feels like years ago) storm in the OV and they did absolutely terrible. This will be another good pressure test.....I would put any amount of money @easton229 will send a picture showing more than 2'' on the ground measured.....hell that will fall and stick in 1 hour, let alone the rest of the storm

Mission accepted 🫡

• LAUGH 2

12 minutes ago, Ohiobuckeye45 said:

I could care less who gets what lol. If 1 or 2 storms determine how good or bad a model or its output is, then none of them should be used. 😂 Hopefully @easton229 gets buried.

12 minutes ago, cperry29 said:

I could care less who gets what lol. If 1 or 2 storms determine how good or bad a model or its output is, then none of them should be used. 😂 Hopefully @easton229 gets buried.

I know, I was just mentioning how strongly I feel about how god awful snow depth maps are lol thats all, 10:1 and kuchera have their downfalls but I think they are significantly more accurate than depth 

• LIKE 1

• Moderators

Here's a 7 part Twitter thread from Jim Sullivan (CLE NWS) on this storm.   He mentions 2-3 maybe even 2-4"/hr rates are possible! 

Rates anywhere close to these will overcome marginal temps and/or warm ground.

Edited by Hiramite
  • LIKE 5

2 hours ago, Ohiobuckeye45 said:

Agreed, 100%.

If the rates are there, the ground temperature won’t slow down accumulations that’s much.

1 hour ago, easton229 said:

One thing for sure is holy cow the amount of QPF with this storm. A lot of yellow and red out there.

Yeah. 

It’s been POURING icy, cold rain here in Indy ALL day.
Sometimes sideways.

It’s awful lol 

• YUCK 2