March 3-4, 2023 | MW/GL Winter Storm

MesoscaleBanding

• Moderators

WPC's Heavy Snow Discussion from 4AM this morning...

Utilizing the WPC super ensemble (WSE), current guidance has been keying on an area from southern and eastern IA to southern WI, northern IL, and central MI for heavy snowfall. These areas feature boundary layer temperatures that are colder than their neighbors in the Central Plains, while still being favorably located north and west of the 850mb low where the TROWAL is likely to pass over. The WSE mean shows 4-6" worth of snow there with some totals in the 6-8" range over central MI through Friday. As the upper low tracks into the Ohio Valley Friday afternoon, strong 290K isentropic ascent and intense 850mb WAA over the Mid-Atlantic will prompt heavy precipitation to break out over the northern Mid-Atlantic and the Northeast. Unlike their neighbors in the Midwest, the high over Canada is in a more optimal position for a CAD wedge to form. Despite this, the storm track favors strong SW flow though the column that will lead to a burgeoning warm nose aloft, likely causing any snow over northern PA and Upstate NY to change over to a wintry mix late Friday. From there, snow potential in the Northeast hinges on when and where a coastal low forms along the Northeast coast Saturday morning. Should it form sooner and track south of the southern New England coastline, snow has a chance to remain the dominant precip type through much of the event. The region with the best odds of staying cold enough for snow for the event is central and northern New England. This is where WPC PWPF features the best odds for >8" of snowfall on Friday and into Saturday (roughly 60-80% probabilities for >8", 30-50% for >12" of snow). Given the amount of moisture and the sufficient cold present from the Great Lakes to the Interior Northeast, the experimental PWSSI shows 50-70% probabilities for Moderate impacts Friday into Saturday. WPC has begun Key Messages for this impending winter storm from the Midwest to the Northeast and are listed below.

Edited by Hiramite

Just now, easton229 said:

All for it to be gone in a day. Not even worth it.

Yep. Going to have a tough time accumulating too with temps warming up today. This will probably be a nothing burger in the end.

• LIKE 1

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, easton229 said:

All for it to be gone in a day. Not even worth it.

I like snow to stick around as much as the next guy, but I'll gladly have snow/flakes rather than no snow....winter, spring, summer or fall. 

• YUCK 1

Yeahhh it’s supposed to be 60 here today. Even with marginal snows the ground temp is way too warm for any decent accumulations. Would have to be some pretty hefty rates for anything to stick. 

Even if the SE trend continues, I still don’t think Toledo will manage more than an inch of slop. 

• LIKE 1

8 minutes ago, NWOhioChaser said:

Absolute brutal cutoff on the southern edge

Probably need to cut those totals by 50-60% too. Higher sun angle and warmer surface temps will make accumulations difficult.

• THUMBS UP 1

4 minutes ago, Jpfalcon said:

Probably need to cut those totals by 50-60% too. Higher sun angle and warmer surface temps will make accumulations difficult.

Ooooooh! There it is! The statement I was waiting for! Thanks for not letting me down!

• LAUGH 5

6 minutes ago, Jpfalcon said:

Off topic. I would have loved to see the model outputs for snow in March 1993.

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1
  • TROPHY 1

20 minutes ago, Jpfalcon said:

Yea the snow depth change is pretty sad. 10-12” fall but only 4” of snow depth change.

Reading the AFD from DTX and it doesn’t sound too impressive in SEMI unless you’re north of I-69 so it sounds like they’re favoring Euro/NAM over the GFS/CMC. Do mention that precip is still very sensitive to an unknown track.

Edited by easton229

14 minutes ago, Cary67 said:

18 Z NAM came in hot but still out of its range. Euro held steady. 12GFS further SE but 12Z GEFS bumped back NW 

snku_acc-imp.us_mw-1.png

ref1km_ptype.conus.png

sn10_acc-mean-imp.conus.png

sn10_acc-mean-imp.us_mw.png

Good luck with this bugger!