March 3-4, 2023 | MW/GL Winter Storm

MesoscaleBanding

• Meteorologist
2 minutes ago, SNOWBOB11 said:

What does shift of tails mean on the EFI model?

It essentially tells you the potential severity of the event. A shift of tails of 0 means that at least 10% of the ensembles are forecasting an extreme event. The higher the number the more extreme the event is. On the contrary, EFI describes the likelihood of an abnormal event (i.e outside of the climate norm) so when it's closer to 1 it means the majority or all of the EPS members are forecasting an event that is outside of the 30 year climate. So shift of tails would measure extremity and EFI measures the confidence of that extreme event happening. Does that make sense?

• LIKE 3
  • THANKS 1

2 minutes ago, Ingyball said:

It essentially tells you the potential severity of the event. A shift of tails of 0 means that at least 10% of the ensembles are forecasting an extreme event. The higher the number the more extreme the event is. On the contrary, EFI describes the likelihood of an abnormal event (i.e outside of the climate norm) so when it's closer to 1 it means the majority or all of the EPS members are forecasting an event that is outside of the 30 year climate. So shift of tails would measure extremity and EFI measures the confidence of that extreme event happening. Does that make sense?

It basically does make sense. Thanks for the explanation 👍

• THUMBS UP 1

Y’all are arguing over 8 inches of snow and where it’s falling I can say from being in Accuweather days a lot of people didn’t come over in the Midwest outside of the Ohio valley. Do you have a job a life a family you care about?? Then yeah winter has sucked but it’s one part of our lives. One man’s loss is another’s gain it’s okay to express that you’re mad or excited about it. It’s natural especially for people like us that love weather as it’s our hobby. Don’t think there’s a need to argue about it most of us know how to look at models see forecast read soundings and be happy or sad or mad about it, but to come in here and attack people over their feelings of their passion is unacceptable to me 

• LIKE 2

5 hours ago, MidMichiganWx said:

Really makes non-OV people feel included lol 

If you are trying to call me out for being negative on a winter storm so be it. I was trying to bring situational awareness to everyone because there was not a thread for this area for severe weather. You should have included my next post as well.

• LIKE 3

Last thing we need here in extreme SEMI is more liquid. Nearly two inches of rain yesterday, fields and ditches are flooded. Ice would even be worse with trees weakened from the ice storm last week and strong winds that followed.

What a mess...

• LIKE 1
  • FLUSHED 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

19 minutes ago, Jpfalcon said:

Last thing we need here in extreme SEMI is more liquid. Nearly two inches of rain yesterday, fields and ditches are flooded. Ice would even be worse with trees weakened from the ice storm last week and strong winds that followed.

What a mess...

NW Ohio has been a soaker as well. We haven’t had the ice like you guys up there but past two weeks we’ve had a widespread 3-5” of precip. Lots of farmers fields are to the breaking point. This system is going to test the limits with another 1-2”. Probably will secure Toledo in the 4th spot for all time wettest February 

Edited by NWOhioChaser
  • LIKE 1

@MidMichiganWx I really don’t understand the issue. People have always talked about their backyard. It’s everyone’s passion. We love snow. What’s the point of posting without any personality? We can all just look at the weather models and see what the computers tell us.

I see people disappointed about missing a storm. No one is putting any other area or individual down. You just don’t have many in your area posting. 

Lastly, I really do not appreciate your cursing and crude talk. That’s one thing I was always appreciative of the forums. People were polite and the language was always friendly. That’s what I find welcoming of these forums as I am sure others do.

• LIKE 5
  • TROPHY 2

1 hour ago, Jpfalcon said:

What a mess...

That's the truth.  All of the farmer's fields look like they decided to install lakes instead of grow crops.

• LIKE 2

1 hour ago, Stevep95 said:

@MidMichiganWx I really don’t understand the issue. People have always talked about their backyard. It’s everyone’s passion. We love snow. What’s the point of posting without any personality? We can all just look at the weather models and see what the computers tell us.

I see people disappointed about missing a storm. No one is putting any other area or individual down. You just don’t have many in your area posting. 

Lastly, I really do not appreciate your cursing and crude talk. That’s one thing I was always appreciative of the forums. People were polite and the language was always friendly. That’s what I find welcoming of these forums as I am sure others do.

It's also frustrating when the storm is five days out and shows big snows for one area only to have it all disappear the next model run. Consistently, over and over and over. I understand it's all about the pattern, but IMO the models should be better than that so close to the event.

• LIKE 1
  • TROPHY 1
  • LOVE 1

• Admin
28 minutes ago, bigben89 said:

It's also frustrating when the storm is five days out and shows big snows for one area only to have it all disappear the next model run. Consistently, over and over and over. I understand it's all about the pattern, but IMO the models should be better than that so close to the event.

You know AI is becoming more and more Sentient right... Um, the models... well... might hear you...

On a more serious note - models are currently dealing with a plethora of uncertainty and moving parts. You have an atmosphere in flux. 

Unfortunately, models are only so good as the equations and data put into them. This is why large pattern shifts tend to give models consternation. Furthermore, pattern shifts create conditions which are ripe for rapidly deepening and exceedingly strong disturbances to develop at the fringes/interlaps of the macroscale features. Of course, this is why we still need meteorologists, but alas, that tends to be a different post all together. 

Personally, I do not think we are quite set in stone yet. I think we will likely see either:

1) A bit more SE copy of what just transpired with the storm over the past couple of days 

2) This storm wrap up so tightly, it goes even further W than what was shown last night. The interesting thing about this scenario would be what it might allow behind it. Again, for a different post. 

Unfortunately, this is a wait and see scenario. I know we are closing in on the Short Range, but what we are seeing is still not set in stone. We'll see.

• THANKS 1