February 21-24, 2023 | Plains/MW/GL Winter Storm/Blizzard

snowlover2

• Moderators

The cold air seemingly won the battle last night, but the warm air will win the war.

In addition to the higher than expected icing, yesterday morning's forecast called for overnight temps to rise into the low 50's.  Then the afternoon forecast lowered the increase to the mid 40's.  I ended up only hitting 40° overnight, now at 36°.   Today's high progged to hit the mid-60's.

Pretty inconsequential in the grand scheme of things and compared to other areas, but always nice to see it colder than expected.

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 3

1 minute ago, Hiramite said:

The cold air seemingly won the battle last night, but the warm air will win the war.

In addition to the higher than expected icing, yesterday morning's forecast called for overnight temps to rise into the low 50's.  Then the afternoon forecast lowered the increase to the mid 40's.  I ended up only hitting 40° overnight, now at 36°.   Today's high progged to hit the mid-60's.

Pretty inconsequential in the grand scheme of things and compared to other areas, but always nice to see it colder than expected.

Funny how that works. Yesterday's warm up to 73 was higher than expected when warm front passed decently to the North. Loved it! 

• THUMBS UP 1

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, RobB said:

Funny how that works. Yesterday's warm up to 73 was higher than expected when warm front passed decently to the North. Loved it! 

Yeah, when warm air wins, it really wins.

Current temps as per 10Z HRRR:

image.png.f3c8664cd40e06945e75bd80ee129b80.png

• THUMBS UP 1

Made it through the night keeping power on: almost 500k without power in SEMI. Have to have heart .5” of ice which is right on forecast. I’ll snag some pictures once the sun comes up a little more. As much as I hate ice, it does look awesome the next day (if your power stays on that is).

• LIKE 3
  • THUMBS UP 1

3 hours ago, easton229 said:

Made it through the night keeping power on: almost 500k without power in SEMI. Have to have heart .5” of ice which is right on forecast. I’ll snag some pictures once the sun comes up a little more. As much as I hate ice, it does look awesome the next day (if your power stays on that is).

DTE themselves are over 500k now. State total is almost to 750k. Really hope there's quite a bit of melt before the wind picks up in the afternoon. Even 40mph gusts with that much ice would be pretty bad.

Ended up with right around 8” which is generally what models were showing other than the GFS that was going overboard. Solid system with some heavy snow bands at the height of the storm.

Edited by SNOWBOB11
  • LIKE 1

2 minutes ago, MidMichiganWx said:

Finished with just under 9" here. Gotta say, GRR and DTX really nailed their forecast - also the global models had this dialed in for several days leading up to the event. Basically the GFS and Euro were both spot on with snow totals (at least here in Michigan).

Nice!

I'm currently enjoying the sunny and 71 degree weather down here...

• THUMBS UP 1
  • FIRE 1

11 hours ago, Hiramite said:

What was the forecast?

We were under an ice storm warning from LOT for 0.1- 0.3 Many areas saw those totals or higher as accretion rates were greater than expected due to wet bulb temperatures and wind causing an evaporative cooling effect that overcame the heavy rate of falling rain.

• THANKS 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, RobB said:

Nice!

I'm currently enjoying the sunny and 71 degree weather down here...

YOUR warmth invaded NE OH. :classic_angry:
It made the mid 60’s today, but once the wind pick up and the clouds rolled in early afternoon, it didn’t feel that warm.

• LIKE 1

23 hours ago, Hiramite said:

Picture form.

Certainly a nice wide swath of decent snow.

image.thumb.png.dc9ca293cc465d0109aae9ee6c292609.png

Nice swath, though nothing like the monster totals that were being advertised - as par the course this winter with QPF decreasing heading into observations.

• THUMBS UP 1