February 21-24, 2023 | Plains/MW/GL Winter Storm/Blizzard

snowlover2

• Meteorologist
1 hour ago, Ohiobuckeye45 said:

GFS cranked it up another notch in MN, unbelievable 

snku_acc-imp.us_mw.png

The Old Happy Hour GFS never disappoints but fracturing should limit ratios for the second half of the system.

14 minutes ago, MidMichiganWx said:

DTX playing the conservative game as usual lol 

GRR is saying 6-10” directly west of where DTX is calling 4-6” 🤷🏼‍♂️ 

8FBC4D24-303B-4950-B713-F4FE86383E7C.jpeg

Wow. Why even issue a storm watch for that? I understand there’s potential for freezing rain but their other graphic says .01-.1 inch of icing.  Seems like their forecast is less than their warning criteria.although I’m not sure what  ice accretion criteria is for a warning..

• Meteorologist
1 hour ago, Pros3lyte said:

Wow. Why even issue a storm watch for that? I understand there’s potential for freezing rain but their other graphic says .01-.1 inch of icing.  Seems like their forecast is less than their warning criteria.although I’m not sure what  ice accretion criteria is for a warning..

Gotta consider also that they're expecting some pretty windy conditions for an ice event... 15-25 mph gusting into the 30s. Doesn't take much for those winds to bully around some powerlines/trees/etc

Here's their AFD

Today`s model cycle continues temporal consistency with the bulk
features of the southern Plains system as it migrates into the mid
MS valley during Wednesday. Opted to go ahead with a Winter Storm
Watch with this forecast issuance given the potential magnitude of
the icing event. The lead time is a bit longer than usual,
especially for a mixed precip event, and carries risk of substantial
forecast changes but is offset by the potential for a high end icing
event somewhere in southern Lower MI. The Watch starts a framework
within which we can then shuffle around precipitation type and
amounts in upcoming forecasts. Today`s forecast cycle still depicts
surface temperature trends toward the Ohio border counties as the
greatest source of uncertainty on the southward extent of freezing
rain potential. Lenawee and Monroe counties are not in the Watch but
are expected to be in a Winter Weather Advisory time window later
Wednesday and Wednesday night. Locations farther north, especially
toward the northern Detroit suburbs to I-69, have a chance to be
more firmly in subfreezing air overlapped by high precipitation
rate. The range of model soundings broadly suggest an all snow start
is possible in this area followed by a lengthy period of sleet
before changing to freezing rain. The key will be persistence of
precipitation coverage and intensity which tend to verify in a more
scattered pattern when a convective component develops. The Tri
Cities and northern Thumb then stand the best chance to hold all
snow but with intervals of sleet and freezing rain also possible.
Exceedance of warning criteria accumulation/icing is play for all
areas in the Watch but with substantial north to south adjustments
possible as assessments of the surface cold layer strength and
northward progress of the warm nose are refined in later updates.

The NAM was a nice hit for MBY with 3 distinct waves of snow during the 84 hour run totaling 1-2 ft depending on ratios. 24+ hours of northeasterly lake effect could give those numbers a bump too. There was ~2 inches last night, the first wave on the model run is tonight with a passing clipper that's already dropped about ~1 inch and then this system could start as early as tomorrow evening. After a month of warm and dry weather, I'm hopeful mother nature finally flipped the switch on winter. 

snku_acc-imp.us_state_mi_up.png

• LIKE 1
  • SHOCKED 1

3 hours ago, MidMichiganWx said:

Tired of being right on the edge of these monsters. Every. Single. Time. Feeling like this is going to be another 2-4” dud IMBY. 

I’m getting plain cold rain from this so I guess it could be worse for you up there. Hope you end up being surprised. 

Going to be interesting to see how far north the warm nose pushes. Going to have a good 30 degree temp difference within 10-20 miles around here. Fun stuff! 

F40DEB8F-773C-4FFF-A6DC-DB5EEE874741.jpeg

30 minutes ago, NWOhioChaser said:

I’m getting plain cold rain from this so I guess it could be worse for you up there. Hope you end up being surprised. 

Going to be interesting to see how far north the warm nose pushes. Going to have a good 30 degree temp difference within 10-20 miles around here. Fun stuff! 

I honestly suspect it will be very similar to last weeks storm here where totals get lowered a lot due to mixing, which realistically I can't be too mad about because I'd rather have a bunch of sleet than ice. Obviously would rather it be all snow. GFS is holding steady on the warm nose staying south. NAM is further north with it. Everything else is kind of in-between. I honestly hate these late winter/early spring type storms. Such a pain to nail down, can't imagine being a met. 

• LIKE 1

38 minutes ago, NWOhioChaser said:

Man I am jealous of those 70 degree temps

• THUMBS UP 2

5 minutes ago, RobB said:

I am looking forward to it...

Ran up to the store a bit ago - cold and crappy out. The older I get the more I dislike the winter time. Thank God for youtube on my living room TV so I can watch 4k drone footage of tropical beaches with ambient relaxing music lol

• LIKE 1
  • LAUGH 1

6 minutes ago, Pros3lyte said:

Ran up to the store a bit ago - cold and crappy out. The older I get the more I dislike the winter time. Thank God for youtube on my living room TV so I can watch 4k drone footage of tropical beaches with ambient relaxing music lol

😆  I like it!

I still love the cold and snow but if it is not, then I am fine with more warmth.  Hell, I have yet to drive the new car I purchased last fall through the snow as the few days of snow covered roads, work was called off two of those.  So minimal salt on the car 🙂

• LIKE 1

• Meteorologist
12 hours ago, StLweatherjunkie said:

The Minneapolis office is sticking out like a sore thumb this morning, wondering if @MidwestWX has anything to do with this 😄

Screenshot_20230221-032811.thumb.png.b47baf1177a1a945e2aee8bd4b0440a6.png

Sometimes you tell your neighbors "you either get on board or get off the TRACKS!"

Edit: if you didn't realize it....but I'm joking!

We have an excellent group of forecasters at the WFO and we're fortunate enough to have a few of our best Winter WX folks work this event. While we may disagree sometimes during the initial collaboration process, our concern is to provide the best quality forecast to our partners and consumers. We're under a bullseye for this system so going to a WW.Y would have sent conflicting messaging. It was also a very high end advisory and/or low end warning with what we had in the grids. This first wave was going to likely trend higher due to FGEN banding so we opted to make things simple for ourselves. We have a wonderful relationship with our media partners. One piece of feedback was to avoid downplaying precursor events. So we're going to be proactive with scenarios like this and lead by example. 

Looks like everyone else got on board eventually... Funny how that happens? 😜

Edited by MidwestWX
Clarity
  • LIKE 1
  • BOMBOGENESIS 1
  • LOVE 1

image.png.67b1a5a49a560f9236783b1041768409.png

DTX goes Warnings for the northern portion of CWA and Ice Storm Warnings for a good chunk of the Metro on west. Northern Tier (my county northward) with the 3-8" forecast + .1-.2 tenths of an inch of ice.

Southward counties in WSW saying 2-4" and .1-.3 tenths of an inch of ice.

Ice storm counties looking at .2 tenths to a half inch of ice! 😬

Edited by Pros3lyte
  • SHOCKED 1
  • SHIVERING 1