February 21-24, 2023 | Plains/MW/GL Winter Storm/Blizzard

snowlover2

• Meteorologist

The synoptic set up for this system is impressive. A potent jet diving down the west coast, and the long-duration west/east frontal boundary overhead should set the stage for some impressive precipitation & snow potential somewhere. There is also the potential for an significant ICE storm across the eastern cornbelt region into southern MI. It'll be a long few days ahead, but time is ticking before we hoist watches across the region and I suspect that will be sooner than later due to the significant impacts possible with this system(s).

• THUMBS UP 1

3 hours ago, MidwestWX said:

The synoptic set up for this system is impressive. A potent jet diving down the west coast, and the long-duration west/east frontal boundary overhead should set the stage for some impressive precipitation & snow potential somewhere. There is also the potential for an significant ICE storm across the eastern cornbelt region into southern MI. It'll be a long few days ahead, but time is ticking before we hoist watches across the region and I suspect that will be sooner than later due to the significant impacts possible with this system(s).

I think the earliest it can be done is Monday or Tuesday.

• Meteorologist
4 hours ago, Iceresistance said:

I think the earliest it can be done is Monday or Tuesday.

You can make an exception for this type of event. If Sunday 00z and 12z runs are still consistent I'd expect to see some watches pop up.

There is actually some wiggle room but it's usually downplayed to avoid getting a rug pull scenario. I'm pumped regardless! 

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

9 minutes ago, MidwestWX said:

You can make an exception for this type of event. If Sunday 00z and 12z runs are still consistent I'd expect to see some watches pop up.

There is actually some wiggle room but it's usually downplayed to avoid getting a rug pull scenario. I'm pumped regardless! 

Assuming offices go by the book, MN shouldn't have any watches until the Sunday afternoon package is sent so yeah only 2 more model cycles to go. I doubt the storm changes much over those model runs.

Edit: this assumes the first wave meets watch/warning criteria. If #1 is just a WWA level event then maybe no watches until Monday afternoon.

Edited by StLweatherjunkie

Monday evening - Thursday evening EFI snow guidance based on 00Z ECMWF ensemble. It would be nice if the map had states on it, but the most extreme snow amounts compared to local climatology should fall across Wyoming, the Front Range of Montana, and a roughly west-east band extending east toward Green Bay. While daily amounts won't be as extreme farther east, there's potential for 2-3 consecutive days of moderate to heavy snow amounts that ramp up impacts. Another thing to note is that southern edge is going to be razor sharp; I'm feeling content sitting on the northern gradient with potential for a long-duration northeasterly lake effect setup. 

2-1900zEFISnow.png.93b511c371d1f6338e720f7166899ed7.png

• LOVE 1

• Meteorologist
15 hours ago, StLweatherjunkie said:

Assuming offices go by the book, MN shouldn't have any watches until the Sunday afternoon package is sent so yeah only 2 more model cycles to go. I doubt the storm changes much over those model runs.

Edit: this assumes the first wave meets watch/warning criteria. If #1 is just a WWA level event then maybe no watches until Monday afternoon.

Correct! I

At this point, both waves will produce WSW level snows across most of the area. Our main gripe is what we do with C MN counties for wave 1 due to WW.Y type impacts/accum. I'm still waiting for the rug to get pulled out from under my feet but I'll save my met thoughts for the AFD.

EDIT: We're just going to message the clipper's impacts for tonight/Monday. If we didn't have this on the door step I'd likely have something out for it, too. 

Edited by MidwestWX
Clipper