February 21-24, 2023 | Plains/MW/GL Winter Storm/Blizzard

snowlover2

The storm today trended a lot weaker and more south than it was showing up 5-7 days ago. It will be interesting to see if this one does the same. Right now it’s showing a snow to ice event for my area. Bit more south and it would be a good all snow track.

22 hours ago, Ohiobuckeye45 said:

gem_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_27.png

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_27.png

If this materializes then it will be the 3rd week in a row with a storm system lifting into the great lakes region on a Thursday #theme. I'm hoping it's lucky #3 since the first 2 were total duds UP here. In fact it rained so much with #2 they had to cancel sled dog races for the first time in the races 33 year history:

https://www.uppermichiganssource.com/2023/02/15/up-200-midnight-run-jack-pine-30-canceled-due-weather/?outputType=amp

Edited by StLweatherjunkie
  • SHOCKED 1
  • DISAPPOINTED 1

12z euro similar to 00z. Although I like the outcome I’m having a hard time trusting the track. I believed a more cutter type track or a weaker more south track is more possible. Models will probably start shifting over the weekend to one of those solutions.

• Meteorologist

Fine you've woken me up from my mid Winter slumber. After two record rain events the past month it's about time for some snow!

This is an especially tricky setup/pattern but there is a particularly large window to make something happen across the upper Midwest. Let's take it a day at a time and enjoy the journey. 

Well this is an impressive temperature gradient ... Record warmth possible from New Orleans to Indianapolis to Columbus and near record cold across most of NE, SD, ND, and points west.

image.thumb.png.e4ae66d639d7ed5023c4f431ad2739d3.png

Also seems like a strong signal for 2 waves with this storm. The leading wave associated with the Baja low ejecting onto the plains then the secondary system hot on it's heels:

image.thumb.png.f29ff7ced631b9ae35f921846c6bc8d1.png

12z EPS snow maps:

image.thumb.png.164d6ac0a93081313756b9017850e83d.png

image.thumb.png.950893f3f6ec8ba53720c7a8bf2e2537.png

Edited by StLweatherjunkie
  • LIKE 1