February 15-17, 2023 | Severe Weather

ClicheVortex2014

• Meteorologist

Watching that area back in south Mississippi. 2000 sbcape/1000 mlcape but hodographs look cleaner than earlier today. Only question I have is that the cape profile might be pretty skinny

My parents are SE of Nashville still under the tornado watch. They're getting nailed by storms now but mesoanalysis shows that some instability is moving in.

021623-4.thumb.PNG.f58f9252476eb80bccf9c0cdd9b3cc09.PNG

62y9E6W.jpeg

zco9hqs.png

Edited by ClicheVortex2014

3 hours ago, Iceresistance said:

Did Smithville get struck by the tornado or just missed to the north? Most of the residents have PTSD to the Smithville, MS EF-5 from April 27th, 2011.

On radar it looked like it went just north but that was a nasty debris ball so I'd imagine some portions of the town were affected.

4 minutes ago, Chinook said:

I wonder what the failure mode was for the last two days. The SPC put out a 10% hatched tornado outlook, plus hail and wind outlooks of varying proportions, and not a whole lot happened.

Was is the poorer than expected low level lapse rates and/or LLJ?

• Meteorologist
3 hours ago, Chinook said:

I wonder what the failure mode was for the last two days. The SPC put out a 10% hatched tornado outlook, plus hail and wind outlooks of varying proportions, and not a whole lot happened.

3 hours ago, Iceresistance said:

Was is the poorer than expected low level lapse rates and/or LLJ?

LLJ isn't something that just busts... that's a reliable feature. Low-level lapse rates looked weak and was a possible reason for bust early on. 

I noticed that there wasn't much lightning activity with the storms later in the day in NE LA/S MS despite 2000+ sbcape/1000 mlcape. Tells you the updrafts were weak/struggled. There were more strong storms in the north because shear was stronger, didn't have to rely on instability as much.