February 15-17, 2023 | Severe Weather

ClicheVortex2014

maybe the SPC is thinking of these cells for their 10% tornado outlook, with the HRRR showing STP(effective) at about 2.7-3.4 for the cells near Memphis. (the STP map shows values just over 1)

refcmp_uh001h.us_sc (1).png

Edited by Chinook

• Meteorologist
23 minutes ago, Chinook said:

maybe the SPC is thinking of these cells for their 10% tornado outlook, with the HRRR showing STP(effective) at about 2.7-3.4 for the cells near Memphis. (the STP map shows values just over 1)

refcmp_uh001h.us_sc (1).png

Yep that's it. They have a good reason to do it, but low-level lapse rates are the factor that could make it bust. Especially given the time of day.

• Meteorologist

18z HRRR for this little bit in extreme NW MS at 06z. One of those times when HRRR is overtly depicting a supercell

q6IJrC9.png

Question is this profile. 73 0-3km cape which is pretty decent, but 5.5 C/km 0-3km lapse rates is pretty pathetic. Definitely could limit the potential. I'd imagine there would be an impressive mid-level meso that would struggle to produce a tornado.

pkpIwwk.png

Edited by ClicheVortex2014

• Meteorologist

18z HRRR reminds me of a similar progression to 3/2/12 for tomorrow except shifted south, but shear isn't extreme and mid-level lapse rates aren't as steep. So the magnitude of the event isn't nearly as high.  But it's pretty rare to have possible supercells from KY to the Gulf coast in February

Notice how Tennessee and Kentucky get a few hours of clearing in the afternoon before the frontal storms that could be semi-discrete.

floop-hrrr-2023021518.refcmp.us_ov.gif.a0ab0ce656df26386509d410c94074f0.gif

floop-hrrr-2023021518.lr75.us_ov.gif

• Meteorologist

Starting to get some kind of precip here. Wind has picked up. Thankfully I'm off until Friday so I get to watch the storms to my east

First watch of (probably) many is up. I'll be curious to see how many of the next 36 hours will be without a convective watch.

BTo0zeX.png

1 minute ago, ClicheVortex2014 said:

Seems the storms along the dryline are having trouble getting going but it looks like the cap might've broken. Seeing some reflectivity all the way up to 35k feet.

image.thumb.png.231e8803d8be20360da67782b3638141.png

I'm watching it closely, DP is low, but that is going to change very quickly.

• Meteorologist
16 minutes ago, Iceresistance said:

I'm not sure of it, it's getting tighter and tighter with a pronounced hook on the radar.

You can have hooks with mid-level mesos fwiw. This one is right on the warm front so it could be too elevated or it could become tornadic