February 11-12, 2023 | NE / Mid-Atlantic Winter Storm Speculation

Penn State

• Social Media Crew
5 minutes ago, NEPAsnow said:

with that low placement it should be all snow in most of eastern,pa

prateptype_cat-imp.us_ne.png

I 100% agree.. I just don’t know how the cold air filters in fast enough with it being so warm prior to the event. 

• THUMBS UP 1

• Social Media Crew
Just now, Penn State said:

The high to north is less pronounced (1026 vs. 1032.. or so) The GFS has been all over the place too, but seems to be having less (somewhat) wild swings. 
trend-gfs-2023020412-f162.sfcwind_mslp.conus.gif.b4f23b6d39cbf344b0ea5b93e1f9115a.gif

Maybe the best case scenario is that the track starts to hone in on something east of the apps, then shifts to the SE as we approach the event. But, that likely means weaker when going in that direction. The Ohio Valley and Great Lakes folks look good here though. 

• Admin

The model now least likely to phase is the Ukie.

1942185027_500hv.conus(3)(31).thumb.png.eda7659729066495443a4946cc6c7d3f.png

GFS

1661494444_500hv.conus(3)(30).thumb.png.e3b058cd42e4cfa31e8178e0b8d7da9e.png

You can see at H8 how the 850 low is consolidated in the OHV per the GFS, flooding warmth north.

279295517_850th.conus(21).thumb.png.feea9baf1de7f92a9361442cab09fb31.png

The Ukie on the other hand, has broken of a more substantial piece that has headed into the Canadian maritimes (GFS does bring some here, just less) this allows cold to filter down a bit after the first wave. With a second circulation near Louisiana.  Again, due to the less phased scenario.

1091551493_850th.conus(20).thumb.png.72856371dc4a7e1f4fd46eb15c68f844.png

This isn't too say the Ukie is even cold enough for a widespread event, or that it's more correct.  More speaks to the number of waves, the timing of southern energy ejection, and subtleties of stream interaction.

There's probably some lower probability outcomes that would make the larger sub forum happy, but we'd need to these little things mostly, if not all, to trend in just the right manner.

No harm in keeping a casual eye on it.

• LIKE 2
  • THANKS 1

• Admin

Only 2 GEFS members support the very slow southern energy like the Ukie is showing. I think these would be the best bets for an impressive storm, but again, lower probability. 

Just have to watch how the timing in the southern stream evolves, as well as the stream interaction.

2080675621_f144(5).thumb.gif.670aac73d149ec20014c319a5ba4bf2e.gif

8 hours ago, MaineJay said:

The model now least likely to phase is the Ukie.

1942185027_500hv.conus(3)(31).thumb.png.eda7659729066495443a4946cc6c7d3f.png

GFS

1661494444_500hv.conus(3)(30).thumb.png.e3b058cd42e4cfa31e8178e0b8d7da9e.png

You can see at H8 how the 850 low is consolidated in the OHV per the GFS, flooding warmth north.

279295517_850th.conus(21).thumb.png.feea9baf1de7f92a9361442cab09fb31.png

The Ukie on the other hand, has broken of a more substantial piece that has headed into the Canadian maritimes (GFS does bring some here, just less) this allows cold to filter down a bit after the first wave. With a second circulation near Louisiana.  Again, due to the less phased scenario.

1091551493_850th.conus(20).thumb.png.72856371dc4a7e1f4fd46eb15c68f844.png

This isn't too say the Ukie is even cold enough for a widespread event, or that it's more correct.  More speaks to the number of waves, the timing of southern energy ejection, and subtleties of stream interaction.

There's probably some lower probability outcomes that would make the larger sub forum happy, but we'd need to these little things mostly, if not all, to trend in just the right manner.

No harm in keeping a casual eye on it.

Crazy I remember you used to call the Ukie mr grabby. I belive it was you.

• THUMBS UP 1

• Admin
18 minutes ago, HVSNOWSTORM said:

Crazy I remember you used to call the Ukie mr grabby. I belive it was you.

It sure seemed like it was a reliable bias 2-3 years ago. So many upgrades on all the models had really made it challenging to figure out the new biases, and if any carry over.

• THUMBS UP 2

23 minutes ago, TheComet said:

All the tellies pointing in the wrong direction for EC snow. Not sure what March will bring but February doesn't look promising

Avoca airport measured only 2.5” of snow for the entire month of January.  I believe that is second or third all time lowest with 1.5” being the lowest.  We all knew this winter wasn’t going to be anything great given the La Niña, but this is painful lol.   All this talk of these “thread the needle” type systems.  When was the last time we ever threaded the needle?   I can’t think of any going years back.  

• THUMBS UP 1

Absolutely putrid nao and zero chances of 50/50 blocking hurts a lot, but the constant blow of deep wave trough after deep trough wave crashing into the west coast keeps the flow moving and doesn’t allow anything to deepen along the east coast.  What’s happening out west in the pac does seem to significantly impact our weather the most, IMO.  

• THUMBS UP 1

• Moderators
55 minutes ago, PA road DAWG said:

Avoca airport measured only 2.5” of snow for the entire month of January.  I believe that is second or third all time lowest with 1.5” being the lowest.  We all knew this winter wasn’t going to be anything great given the La Niña, but this is painful lol.   All this talk of these “thread the needle” type systems.  When was the last time we ever threaded the needle?   I can’t think of any going years back.  

I'm so old now that I can't get the thread through the eye without glasses.

Same for tying on a fishing hook.

Sterlings thoughts. It earlier but……

By the end of the week, a trailing shortwave may spark low pressure
over the Tennessee River Valley. As this low lifts northeastward,
some colder air filtering in behind the initial wave may try to
catch any associated precipitation. While rain is still most likely
across most areas east of the Blue Ridge Mountains, a mix or change
to snow is possible further west (especially over the mountains).
This is a leader-follower type setup, though, and these kind of
setups can be highly variable. Right now, probabilities for 1+ inch
of snow in 24 hours is limited to about 20 percent over the
Alleghenies, but it bears monitoring nonetheless.

High pressure and seasonably cool air likely filter in for next
weekend in the wake of the late week system.

• LIKE 1