February 10-11, 2023 | Plains/MW/GL/OV Winter Storm Speculation

MesoscaleBanding

Just now, StLweatherjunkie said:

Euro's EFI suggests a snow swath from Iowa to northern Michigan on the north side of a swath of potentially heavy QPF:

ens_2023020400_conus_24h_sfi_SFC_144.pngens_2023020400_conus_24h_tpi_SFC_144.png

Yeah, the primary looks like good heavy snow potential for the far north country - the southerners of the forum are putting our hopes in what comes after. Fun times ahead.

1 hour ago, Iceresistance said:

Not for me, I get drenched.

Referring to the secondary formation - the warm, primary system on Wed./Thurs. looks locked in to occur. What happens just after that on late Friday night into Saturday night is the big question mark.

Edited by MesoscaleBanding
  • LIKE 1
  • THANKS 1

3 minutes ago, MesoscaleBanding said:

Yeah, the primary looks like good heavy snow potential for the far north country - the southerners of the forum are putting our hopes in what comes after. Fun times ahead.

There should be a secondary system, but it seems like a positively tilted and comparatively moisture starved southern slider. I'm sure some folks will luck out, but it feels like more of a nowcast scenario instead of something that can be forecast several days out. 

• THUMBS DOWN 1

1 minute ago, StLweatherjunkie said:

There should be a secondary system, but it seems like a positively tilted and comparatively moisture starved southern slider. I'm sure some folks will luck out, but it feels like more of a nowcast scenario instead of something that can be forecast several days out. 

A weak, disappointing secondary is definitely on the table, but for now I'll just pretend the GFS has it on lockdown 😂

• LAUGH 1
  • SNOWMAN 1

4 minutes ago, StLweatherjunkie said:

Let’s try and be a little positive for us southern OHV folk 😜

Edited by Mulaman984
  • LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1
  • TROPHY 1

53 minutes ago, MesoscaleBanding said:

A weak, disappointing secondary is definitely on the table, but for now I'll just pretend the GFS has it on lockdown 😂

I would usually agree that the GFS ~6 to 7 days out is not close, but I went back to look at the thread from the January 24/25 system, and the GFS performed relatively well in this time frame.  I seem to recall (wish?) it did well with the Christmas storm, too?  Not saying its right this time, but my short term memory is that it has done well this winter.  I checked @Hiramite low party tracker results, and it seems like GFS did better on the last storm based on that, as well.  One can hope, right?

On the other hand-I'm in the bullseye, a week out, on the GFS?  Sounds like a good time to put the plows away for the rest of winter lol.

• LIKE 1

1 hour ago, MesoscaleBanding said:

There are only 29 more runs of the GFS between now and next Saturday afternoon. What could possibly go wrong? 

• LAUGH 2
  • SNOWMAN 1
  • BOMBOGENESIS 1

38 minutes ago, junior said:

Euro won’t happen. Too much wave interference. The h5 tells it all but the storm is still there which is all I want to see at this stage. 

Yea, storm is there but sort of a funky path/handoff

• Admin
40 minutes ago, junior said:

Euro won’t happen. Too much wave interference. The h5 tells it all but the storm is still there which is all I want to see at this stage. 

Exactly this! So easy to get discouraged by the surface maps. But the point.. is that the storm is still there, lol.

• LIKE 3
  • THUMBS UP 1

2 hours ago, Mulaman984 said:

Let’s try and be a little positive for us southern OHV folk 😜

I said some folks will get lucky, that seems pretty positive to me ... It's going to be a difficult system to track since it depends on details of the primary low a day or two earlier. 

• THUMBS UP 1

Going to be a miss to the north me thinks. Winter is on life support in my honest opinion, and the dreaded sun angle is starting to rear it’s ugly head.

I’d rather go for futility records at this point and their are plenty of them in play for many of us. Let’s not pad the stats in March  and April, take our L and move on. 

this winter has been miserable. I’d argue rivaling 2011-2012.

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS DOWN 1

• The title was changed to February 10-11, 2023 | Plains/MW/GL/OV Winter Storm Speculation
  • Moderators

Still a bit of life left in this event for those in the NE section of the subforum.

24hr 10:1 ensemble means for the GEFS and CMCE.  (Just a snapshot in time.  These are "too late" to show the minor accums to the SW):

image.png

image.png

Edited by Hiramite