February 2, 2023 Mid-Atlantic Snow | Groundhog Day

bigben89

• Social Media Crew

Here's a model comparison at Hour 156.. Looks like an overrunning event to me. Looks like there's a good supply of cold air.. one question would be how strong is the high, and where is it placed. If there's a lot of gulf moisture, could be quite an ice and snow event for some. GFS and Euro have some agreement at the moment. 

1583772584_ModelComparison.gif.fc5878fd7c140cfa8679ec846f4bd7ae.gif

• LIKE 1

• Moderators
16 hours ago, Uscg Ast said:

If this period produces nothing, I am going to root for an all out shutout for NYC. 

It's like rooting for your team to lose the rest of the games so your team gets a draft pick.  

• LAUGH 4
  • THUMBS UP 3
  • SNOWMAN 1
  • LOVE 1

8 minutes ago, StretchCT said:

It's like rooting for your team to lose the rest of the games so your team gets a draft pick.  

Which they promptly waste on a bust since they are such a poorly run team that they lose all their games 

• LIKE 2
  • LAUGH 1

• Admin
4 hours ago, TLChip said:

Not the 2nd but the 5th… guess we keep tracking and see what happens. Ensembles aren’t nearly as bold. 

Euro OP

D7B1F4A0-F51D-4B37-B2FE-CCADB1315950.thumb.png.c90e07f49fd530d1f3b5f5b642e2b988.png

EPS

E7CE91FD-595E-4E18-AE8F-17D37D9924DF.thumb.png.b441ee69fb467652831a1da5f719427c.png

The ECMWF OP brings that SW low out slow, and then slides energy down a west coast ridge, fairly favorably. GFS plows a southern stream wave into Cali.  They really diverge buy D7-8.

For this threat, it seems that some energy gets peeled off that SW trof, but how much and when is a little tricky.

GFS CMC IS suppression depression. Good lord please don't do that to us after how warm it's been. It would literally be a fairytale story.

I can totally see it being cutter/ rain too warm to cold dry suppression and DC or the Carolinas snows.

Edited by HVSNOWSTORM
  • THUMBS UP 1
  • LOVE 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, MaineJay said:

Ukie has been pretty flat many instances this year.  Professor grabby is now professor hands off.

I feel that all the changes they've made to all the models in the last few years is throwing me off.  And when I try to learn the new biases, they upgrade it again.

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

Sterling as confused as it was this morning… 

Story for the fill in the blank. 

lows , ridges and highs. Put them where you like.      Well  maybe not there 

LONG TERM /MONDAY THROUGH FRIDAY/... On Monday, an upper trough will be located over the western CONUS with a ridge in place over the Caribbean with low pressure moving through the area with a cold frontal passage. Some light precipitation is expected to linger into the the morning behind the front but should diminish by the afternoon. Some models continue upslope showers along the Allegheny Front into Tuesday, but there is disagreement. The front is expected to linger south of the area through mid-week, maintaining cloud cover. Another bout of precipitation is possible Tuesday into Wednesday as a shortwave passes to the north. Model spread in the 12z suite of guidance remains high for the Tuesday/Wednesday system, with significant discrepancies on precip type or if any precip occurs. The ECMWF produces the driest solution, with most precip missing us to the south, with the CMC producing the wettest while the GFS is the coldest. Uncertainty increases this far out, especially given the changing pattern. For now, a wintry mix is possible, with the greatest chance for wintry precip along and west of the Alleghenies. Temperatures are expected to start above normal and decrease through the period, so uncertainty regarding temperatures increase beyond Tuesday.

Edited by Wtkidz
  • LAUGH 2

Hell, even though I'm in the Ohio Valley, I'm ready for a wound up system in the region of this thread. I tend to be jealous of good Ole winter noreasters but it's weird and unfun to not track one! 

Edited by RobB
  • LIKE 3
  • THUMBS UP 2