January 26-30, 2023 | "I Won't Back Down" (1-2-3 Punch) | Plains/MW/GL/OV Winter Storms

BuckeyeGal

• Admin
1 hour ago, Shiver Me Timbers said:

Thread should be renamed 'wishcasting thread for end of January.' 

2 hours ago, Shiver Me Timbers said:

I don't see any models depicting anything that could be labeled 'big' for anyone in our area over the next 10 days. Certainly not for central Illinois. What am I missing?

I would consider 6+ Inches of snow to be on the larger side (ie Big). The ingredients are in place for a potential larger event, though the models are not necessarily depicting that at this point. 

H5 matters much more than sfc depiction

• LIKE 2
  • LOVE 2

Short range models definitely north on Sat-Sunday event. Globals still steady but Euro did shift north with heaviest axis. Not surprising if this ends up north. Can't buy a decent event this winter although ORD finally cracked double digits. 10.6"

• Admin
16 hours ago, Uscg Ast said:

I would consider 6+ Inches of snow to be on the larger side (ie Big). The ingredients are in place for a potential larger event, though the models are not necessarily depicting that at this point. 

H5 matters much more than sfc depiction

2 hours ago, MaineJay said:

Attendence in the threads is not mandatory. If you'd like to discuss what's going on with the weather, you are more than welcome. But if you're aim is just to be a nuisance, and a whiner, maybe this hobby doesn't suit you.

Understand, many folks here simply enjoy the company of others who enjoy talking weather, even if it's not "the big one".  They wait all year for the change to track snow, no matter how trivial it's may be, you can count me in that group.

There are many endeavors that folks take on that don't always bear fruit, fishing, hunting, photography, mountain climbing, watching meteor showers, etc.  Does that mean that engaging in these hobbies/traditions is without value?  Perhaps not to you. Sometimes, often even, the journey is worth more than the destination.

@MaineJay = Luther🙃

• LAUGH 5

13 hours ago, easton229 said:

Aaaaaand NAM is north again for Saturday night. With the setup, I’m assuming this will be a nowcast situation and models will flip flop up until the event starts.

They pretty much are all nowcast anymore. 😝

7 hours ago, MaineJay said:

Attendence in the threads is not mandatory. If you'd like to discuss what's going on with the weather, you are more than welcome. But if you're aim is just to be a nuisance, and a whiner, maybe this hobby doesn't suit you.

Understand, many folks here simply enjoy the company of others who enjoy talking weather, even if it's not "the big one".  They wait all year for the change to track snow, no matter how trivial it's may be, you can count me in that group.

There are many endeavors that folks take on that don't always bear fruit, fishing, hunting, photography, mountain climbing, watching meteor showers, etc.  Does that mean that engaging in these hobbies/traditions is without value?  Perhaps not to you. Sometimes, often even, the journey is worth more than the destination.

All I said was "I don't see any models depicting anything that could be labeled 'big' for anyone in our area over the next 10 days. Certainly not for central Illinois."  

For context:  I have experienced about 30 days of snowfall this year. All but three of those days were wholly unremarkable, with little to no accumulation or rapid melting. There was no threat of anything big happening. Nothing wrong with discussing small disturbances or snow shower potential. It was the odd choice of words that threw me off. I was looking at model after model trying to find anything suggesting "big storm" potential. And there was none. So I commented. No need to get defensive