January 26-30, 2023 | "I Won't Back Down" (1-2-3 Punch) | Plains/MW/GL/OV Winter Storms

BuckeyeGal

14 minutes ago, Wnwniner said:

Edit-Page Topper (Always wanted to do this!)  
What do you get when you combine a vampire and a snowman?

FROSTBITE!

Pro tip from the guy who is in charge of the plow crews....

If you car is parked there, it will get plowed in, then when you get it out and move it, we'll be back to clean up and plow your driveway in.  Instead, clear out 15 to 20 feet in front of your driveway in the direction of travel, and then the plow blade will be empty when it comes in front of your driveway.

CcxmqDasIUJm7Ukv57a2yAbeDQGSb97RuKnSzj0x1Rw.jpg?auto=webp&v=enabled&s=3f5628f8d0960b80dc25d9e1728361ef6942d8ce

I do this EVERY time!!!

2 hours ago, ncinthenext3 said:

No Lie.  That stuff was heavy.  Almost like shoveling clay.  

😄I made the mistake of shoveling only once at 4PM when that lull hit. I was at home all day and had a deadline to meet with a project. So when I went out at 1 to shovel a path to the mailbox I was like “Eh, it’s a little heavy, but it could wait.” I was wrong. 

But my wife and I just bought a house with a 240 sq. Ft driveway so I quickly knew how much I screwed up! 

Going to buy a snowblower before next winter

————————————————————

Light snow showers when I woke up at 7:30 this morning. Light dusting on the driveway already. Some sporadic showers since then not really accumulation to it. Maybe .25-.5” since then. It really helps to whiten and blanket all of the snow piles we shoveled yesterday.

Edited by NWOhioChaser
  • LIKE 1

2 hours ago, Wnwniner said:

Edit-Page Topper (Always wanted to do this!)  
What do you get when you combine a vampire and a snowman?

FROSTBITE!

Pro tip from the guy who is in charge of the plow crews....

If you car is parked there, it will get plowed in, then when you get it out and move it, we'll be back to clean up and plow your driveway in.  Instead, clear out 15 to 20 feet in front of your driveway in the direction of travel, and then the plow blade will be empty when it comes in front of your driveway.

CcxmqDasIUJm7Ukv57a2yAbeDQGSb97RuKnSzj0x1Rw.jpg?auto=webp&v=enabled&s=3f5628f8d0960b80dc25d9e1728361ef6942d8ce

I even did that. It didn't matter because not everyone else did it. I could see that working if the whole neighborhood did it for sure. Awesome post

2 hours ago, Jpfalcon said:

Interesting FB post from Bill Spencer this morning.

image.png.a8ae1c176888db91881ac5bbab4d6c1c.png

Interesting tidbit. He was spot on with last storm. Still have a heart-on (teehee) for him since he was the first forecaster to teach me about baroclinic zones. Wonder how they will impact Sundays storms since heaviest banding from yesterdays storm was Ft. Wayne to SEMI. 

Also getting some really scenic lake effect bands today. Keeps it up then for sure we’ll see an inch on top on present snow. 

REALLY want to hear from those along the lakeshore from Sandusky along to Mentor. They have to be at least getting 1”/hr rates with those bands.

Edited by NWOhioChaser
  • LIKE 1

3 hours ago, Jpfalcon said:

My snowblower shut off three separate times due to the weight of it. Then had the pleasure of shoveling the heavy mess the plow left at the bottom of the driveway this morning.

Since I got the 2 stage about 4 years ago this was the most that machine has struggled with ANY snow event.  

18 minutes ago, ncinthenext3 said:

I even did that. It didn't matter because not everyone else did it. I could see that working if the whole neighborhood did it for sure. Awesome post

Surprised to hear it didn't work, since it should be individual.  I've done this for years and it generally works well.

• Admin
5 minutes ago, ncinthenext3 said:

So, sorry if I'm confused.....I'm seeing potential for a Tuesday night into Wed event for the 31-st to 1st time frame.  Is this the thread?

No.. this is only through Monday. Somebody else gotta create stuff for next week!

• LIKE 1

15 minutes ago, Shiver Me Timbers said:

I don't see any models depicting anything that could be labeled 'big' for anyone in our area over the next 10 days. Certainly not for central Illinois. What am I missing?

As of now, you're not missing anything. in the long range, the upcoming time frame (this weekend thru next weekend) looked extremely interesting...but now that we are just about there, things look pretty bland/weak sauce. Hopefully, we get some amplification with one of these disturbances. It would be a shame to let the next 7+ days go to waste. 

Personally, I think models are struggling with the various impulses riding along the boundary early/middle next week. Hopefully, something can pop for our region.

• LIKE 4

3 minutes ago, MesoscaleBanding said:

As of now, you're not missing anything. in the long range, the upcoming time frame (this weekend thru next weekend) looked extremely interesting...but now that we are just about there, things look pretty bland/weak sauce. Hopefully, we get some amplification with one of these disturbances. It would be a shame to let the next 7+ days go to waste. 

Personally, I think models are struggling with the various impulses riding along the boundary early/middle next week. Hopefully, something can pop for our region.

Thread should be renamed 'wishcasting thread for end of January.' 

• LAUGH 1

21 minutes ago, Shiver Me Timbers said:

This thread is for today's snow showers/squalls...tomorrow's weak clipper & the Sunday light rain/snow event...

If you're looking for something more significant, it appears that Feb. 3-4 might be something to look forward to in our region (if we can't get something to pop during the middle of next week).

Edited by MesoscaleBanding
  • LIKE 1

1 minute ago, MesoscaleBanding said:

This thread is for today's snow showers/squalls...tomorrow's weak clipper & the Sunday light rain/snow event...

If you're looking for something more significant, it appears that Feb. 3-4 might be something to look forward to in our region if we can't get something to pop during the middle of next week.

Right. I just see people using words like "bigger" and and "storm" in this thread and it made me think I was missing out on something

• THUMBS UP 1

Pretty good jump south on both the 12k and 3k NAM for Saturday into Sunday. 3K keeps the rain/snow line at the MI border while 12k brings it all the way up to northern Oakland county. Either way, the NAM took a step towards the global models which show the more southern setup.

• THUMBS UP 1

56 minutes ago, Shiver Me Timbers said:

Right. I just see people using words like "bigger" and and "storm" in this thread and it made me think I was missing out on something

Couple small impulses, but even an inch here or there will keep any snowpack around for the foreseeable future, especially with more arctic air spilling in to start February. Every once in awhile something will surprise.

• Admin
1 hour ago, Shiver Me Timbers said:

If you look at the teleconnections and not the surface energy, the potential is there. No one is wishcasting anything. 

• THUMBS UP 2