January 25-26, 2023 | Winter Storm

Penn State

• Social Media Crew

So.. I just have to vent on this.. but all day today, I've been asked about what I think will happen with the weather tomorrow (resident expert.. lol) However, it is such a pet peeve of mine when someone's like, well.. "my app says..". I'm like, your app is not a human! I'm using valid, skilled model data, and you're relying on a random application, but you're the expert somehow. Then you hear.. well, they're lowering the forecast now. It was 3-5", now it's 1-3".. but if you look at the forecast, nothing major has fundamentally changed. Then there's the people who talk about this being a 2 hour delay.. "that would make the most sense".. but once again, wrong! You would place buses in the worst of storm (oh, but.. your app is the know all, be all). End of rant.. 

• LIKE 6
  • THANKS 2
  • LOVE 1

• Moderators

Was just about to ask "what's up with the 12z Euro?"....then saw the banner on Pivotal. Guess it's delayed.

18z NAM certainly not backing down on it's thoughts for northern tier of PA/southern tier of NY through Mass

Screen Shot 2023-01-24 at 3.14.44 PM.png

23 minutes ago, Penn State said:

So.. I just have to vent on this.. but all day today, I've been asked about what I think will happen with the weather tomorrow (resident expert.. lol) However, it is such a pet peeve of mine when someone's like, well.. "my app says..". I'm like, your app is not a human! I'm using valid, skilled model data, and you're relying on a random application, but you're the expert somehow. Then you hear.. well, they're lowering the forecast now. It was 3-5", now it's 1-3".. but if you look at the forecast, nothing major has fundamentally changed. Then there's the people who talk about this being a 2 hour delay.. "that would make the most sense".. but once again, wrong! You would place buses in the worst of storm (oh, but.. your app is the know all, be all). End of rant.. 

Lol tell me about the “app” information, it’s the worst. People trust the app more then Mets because they “get it wrong” so much 🫠. It’s amazing how people think weather is “easy” to forecast, like there’s not a hundred different variables. I remember sending someone a local AFD and they told me it was just gibberish… too much unneeded information 🙃

Since the old accuweather days this group of people have been the most reliable and informative places to find weather information that isn’t just the SPC or NWS. 

• LIKE 2
  • THUMBS UP 4
  • LOVE 1

54 minutes ago, Penn State said:

I just asked Alexa and you can expect about 1.06 inches.

• FACEPALM 1
  • LAUGH 1
  • &$!#% 1

• Moderators

Upton updated advisories

image.png.d34b1580469fbb0970d0feb30d11b2bb.png

Going aggressive with 6" possible in Passaic and Orange

Spoiler
NJZ002-NYZ067-251045-
/O.CON.KOKX.WW.Y.0001.230125T1200Z-230126T0500Z/
Western Passaic-Orange-
318 PM EST Tue Jan 24 2023

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 7 AM WEDNESDAY
TO MIDNIGHT EST WEDNESDAY NIGHT...

* WHAT...Snow and mixed precipitation expected. Total snow
  accumulations of 2 to 5 inches. Locally 6 inches of snow
  possible across the highest elevations. Ice accumulations of a
  light glaze. One inch per hour snowfall rates possible
  Wednesday afternoon into early evening.

* WHERE...In New Jersey, Western Passaic County. In New York,
  Orange County.

* WHEN...From 7 AM Wednesday to midnight EST Wednesday night.

* IMPACTS...Plan on slippery road conditions. The hazardous
  conditions could impact the morning or evening commute.

• Moderators

Norton with a colorful map.  Upton couldn't come up with something for coastal Fairfield and inland New Haven counties?  Nor Norton for Gloucester?  I feel like my color by numbers is missing a color

image.png.21b43ddf8fcd43c1325ab85669b9fe56.png

Edited by StretchCT

• Admin
10 minutes ago, StretchCT said:

Norton with a colorful map.  Upton couldn't come up with something for coastal Fairfield and inland New Haven counties?  Nor Norton for Gloucester?  I feel like my color by numbers is missing a color

image.png.21b43ddf8fcd43c1325ab85669b9fe56.png

For those wondering, it's pronounced Glawstah, in Essex county. I grew up under the "G".  I can remember some good winters down there, 93-94', 95-96', but it's way snowier here.

I could go for a north shore roast beef with mayo right about now, I do miss those.  Always get one, usually 2, when I visit family down there.

• LIKE 1
  • LOVE 1

15 minutes ago, MaineJay said:

For those wondering, it's pronounced Glawstah, in Essex county. I grew up under the "G".  I can remember some good winters down there, 93-94', 95-96', but it's way snowier here.

I could go for a north shore roast beef with mayo right about now, I do miss those.  Always get one, usually 2, when I visit family down there.

Where do you go - Kellys?

• Admin
10 minutes ago, MainelySnow said:

Where do you go - Kellys?

I went to the Kelly's on Revere beach a few times, but my town had tons. Bill and Bob's was a little chain. Big Fred's was a hang out in high school, Kings, Dinas, Minos, I could go on and on. My favorite is Giovanni's in Peabody, and their chicken kabob calzone is quite the treat (always get extra dressing), the one on Lake St, not Lowell st. oddly, they aren't affiliated with each other.

juice-snl.gif.bf518d3451360f9e3b75d6c60051bf4a.gif

• LIKE 2
  • LOVE 1

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, MaineJay said:

I went to the Kelly's on Revere beach a few times, but my town had tons. Bill and Bob's was a little chain. Big Fred's was a hang out in high school, Kings, Dinas, Minos, I could go on and on. My favorite is Giovanni's in Peabody, and their chicken kabob calzone is quite the treat (always get extra dressing), the one on Lake St, not Lowell st. oddly, they aren't affiliated with each other.

juice-snl.gif.bf518d3451360f9e3b75d6c60051bf4a.gif

• LAUGH 4
  • LOVE 2

16 minutes ago, MaineJay said:

Dipping the straw into the GOMEX.

CODNEXLAB-GOES-East-continental-conus-08-21_21Z-20230124_map_noBar-19-4n-10-100.thumb.gif.f1a3612a640f0687de97ceceba0a9c20.gif

What a waste of copious amounts of moisture for the southern end of the incoming precipitation shield, as WAA will lurk and overcome the cold air.....