January 25-26, 2023 | Winter Storm

Penn State

• Meteorologist
7 minutes ago, so_whats_happening said:

And just like that we are now down to 3 mile visibility alright im off to bed

To add real quick we are now having a coating on most surfaces, roads are starting to cover on side streets and low use areas.

• LIKE 3

5 minutes ago, StretchCT said:

Example here:  I look at the Upton radar and get excited to see precip moving in through NJ, even over the Mt Holly radar site.

upton.thumb.gif.4662dd0e2e2c7ad882e50060b9951abc.gif

But then I double check the MT Holly radar.

1411020065_mtholly.thumb.gif.8896dc7a2045cd9ea274208e554eb5a0.gif

Nice analysis, we have flurries here thats about it. Surprised to see it snowing in VT before us in mass 

• LIKE 2

• Moderators

If we have anyone in SE New England, there is a flood watch up for some river flooding.  This is the forecast.

1610713097_Screenshot2023-01-25at11_41_17AM.thumb.png.c1629105f2db469d091410f0fe20d8d0.png

And just a reminder that many coastal areas may see some minor coastal flooding.  Nassau county is expecting widespread minor to moderate coastal flooding.  And of course the wind advisory.

• LIKE 1

21 minutes ago, StretchCT said:

Mess around with the radars and know the difference between composite and reflectivity with different tilts.  Composites are all the various layers in the column which each tilt covers, or the reflectivity from all 4 tilts.  Also remember as the beam goes further out, it's higher up. This is why you see donut holes around radar sites when precip is aloft and not on the ground.

When using mosaics, you can get a result similar to composite where the higher altitudes are captured, so it looks like its precip, but it's not making it to the ground. Believe it or not the MMRS site has a useful setting to account for this called reflection at lowest altitude.  This eliminates a lot of the higher altitude precip that's not making it to the surface.  

801302318_Screenshot2023-01-25at11_18_53AM.thumb.png.5b169d68aeee62a02f905a5c00f59a57.png

Oh the sun just came out!

One thing I don’t like about the MRMS(weathermodels) radar is it’s ‘max’ so during these storms it’s always got a large swath of virga. 

• LIKE 2

49 minutes ago, Ric_Roody said:

Snow has finally started to reach the ground here in western Schuylkill County, PA after virga for an hour or so. @Lazman I expect it should start up in your neck of the woods soon.

It kicked in at 11:00 AM. Steady fine flakes flying, with the ground covered. Winds are howling. 

• LIKE 3

33 minutes ago, TheComet said:

Not a single flake, 28F. Totals getting lowered by the minute it seems, LOL. Always a nowcasting situation. But watch the rain come in as forecasted and exceed the predictions. Par for the course for this winter.

Flakes have arrived, picking up intensity as I type. Going to walk the dog.

• LIKE 1
  • SNOWMAN 1

• Social Media Crew
8 minutes ago, JDClapper said:

So, is it an overperformer down in SPA/Cap Region?  Nice seeing all those heavy snow reports down there!

I think so.. I'm at work, but looking at our house cam, I think we have 2-3" at least.. maybe more. My expectation was more around the 1-2" range, and maybe less than that with sleet. 

• LIKE 1
  • TROPHY 1
  • SNOWMAN 1
  • LOVE 1

4 minutes ago, MDBlueridge said:

Western Maryland played with fire and sent the kids to school today. I know theyre hoping for the changeover but it sure looks like it will be a bit. 

Surprised it's not at least mixing, with critical thickness's like these

png1.png