January 25-26, 2023 | Winter Storm

Penn State

• Social Media Crew

I'm at work.. but it's definitely putting it down in Franklin County, PA. Started just before 10 AM, and we have a good 1/2" or more down. Radar returns look good for the next few hours! 

• LIKE 2
  • SNOWMAN 1

8 minutes ago, Penn State said:

I'm at work.. but it's definitely putting it down in Franklin County, PA. Started just before 10 AM, and we have a good 1/2" or more down. Radar returns look good for the next few hours! 

That two hour delay call by CASD seems.... silly. 

• THUMBS UP 1

• Social Media Crew
Just now, twinmama08 said:

That two hour delay call by CASD seems.... silly. 

It's getting ripped.. and it was an awful call. It should have been closed or send at regular time. There was definitely a window this morning, and there's one this afternoon. Sending at 9-10AM was dangerous. 

• Social Media Crew
5 minutes ago, Penn State said:

It's getting ripped.. and it was an awful call. It should have been closed or send at regular time. There was definitely a window this morning, and there's one this afternoon. Sending at 9-10AM was dangerous. 

The worst part is.. a little bit of training on how to read a radar and interpret model data could make the difference. 

• LIKE 2
  • THUMBS UP 2

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, Penn State said:

That sucks....guessing their app was wrong 😬

Interestingly clouds have lifted here and can now almost see mountain peaks.  Currently 30F here in Manchester

Schools here have a 12:30 dismissal today. Think that was a good call.

Edited by telejunkie
  • LIKE 1
  • LAUGH 2

Not a single flake, 28F. Totals getting lowered by the minute it seems, LOL. Always a nowcasting situation. But watch the rain come in as forecasted and exceed the predictions. Par for the course for this winter.

• &$!#% 1

22 minutes ago, StretchCT said:

34 wiith 28dp.  Overcast - virga moved out. Most schools on ED, which is probably the right answer given they are still busing kids at 5.

Under that heavy green band, and virga!

Hopefully it saturates quick, seems to be filling in a bit to the SW of here

image.gif

• &$!#% 1

• Moderators

Trying to figure the speed of the advancement here. Tried to put the center the edge of precip on the last frame and build out to where the edge of the precip was on the first frame.  This showed it moved 53 miles in just over an hour.  Any better way to do this?

1392212560_1115radar.thumb.gif.7835aac227119f898079fda0fe2e3dd8.gif

That yellow line isn't wasting time.. wonder if State College will be reporting sleet mixing in soon.

Snowing steadily, moderate?  Flakes finally starting to get larger, but still quite a lot of small ones in there.

png1.png

• LIKE 1

• Moderators

Mess around with the radars and know the difference between composite and reflectivity with different tilts.  Composites are all the various layers in the column which each tilt covers, or the reflectivity from all 4 tilts.  Also remember as the beam goes further out, it's higher up. This is why you see donut holes around radar sites when precip is aloft and not on the ground.

When using mosaics, you can get a result similar to composite where the higher altitudes are captured, so it looks like its precip, but it's not making it to the ground. Believe it or not the MMRS site has a useful setting to account for this called reflection at lowest altitude.  This eliminates a lot of the higher altitude precip that's not making it to the surface.  

801302318_Screenshot2023-01-25at11_18_53AM.thumb.png.5b169d68aeee62a02f905a5c00f59a57.png

Oh the sun just came out!

Edited by StretchCT
  • THANKS 5

• Meteorologist
4 minutes ago, so_whats_happening said:

Man I really wish I could make this stuff up but still seeing heavy and moderate snow just to the WNW and NW of me. Now KLNS is reporting snow which is 10 miles north of me at most and still nothing lol

And just like that we are now down to 3 mile visibility alright im off to bed

• LIKE 1
  • SNOWMAN 2
  • CYCLONE 1

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, StretchCT said:

Mess around with the radars and know the difference between composite and reflectivity with different tilts.  Composites are all the various layers in the column which each tilt covers, or the reflectivity from all 4 tilts.  Also remember as the beam goes further out, it's higher up. This is why you see donut holes around radar sites when precip is aloft and not on the ground.

When using mosaics, you can get a result similar to composite where the higher altitudes are captured, so it looks like its precip, but it's not making it to the ground.

Example here:  I look at the Upton radar and get excited to see precip moving in through NJ, even over the Mt Holly radar site.

upton.thumb.gif.4662dd0e2e2c7ad882e50060b9951abc.gif

But then I double check the MT Holly radar.

1411020065_mtholly.thumb.gif.8896dc7a2045cd9ea274208e554eb5a0.gif

• LIKE 2
  • THANKS 1