January 22-23, 2023 | Winter Storm

Penn State

• Social Media Crew
14 minutes ago, CryptoWeather said:

EPS Mean so close to something good for all

sfcmslp-meanmem.conus.png

It definitely looks like it's locking in to me.. Those members are pretty tight. Looks like more speed differences than placement. 

• THUMBS UP 1

Just now, Penn State said:

It definitely looks like it's locking in to me.. Those members are pretty tight. Looks like more speed differences than placement. 

Yes the euro looks like it's in good agreement with its ensemble members and a solid middle ground. Hard to argue against its current output ATM. 

• THUMBS UP 2

• Social Media Crew

I should be somewhat cautious.. I feel I'm at the risk of model hugging the ECMWF. There's still quite a bit of variation in regard to track and precipitation type. If climatology is a guide, it is January.. the cold should have an advantage for interior parts of Maryland and northern Virginia, throughout the Northeast.

1077506865_OperationalComparison(Hour108).gif.fa523bca048ff259e9eb73fa83e280b1.gif

• Moderators
1 hour ago, HVSNOWSTORM said:

PARD should he happy with today's models, so he can stop saying cutter cutter cutter lol.

Did anybody lock in the 12z Euro for him yet? Need to get someone on that if not....

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Penn State said:

If climatology is a guide, it is January.. the cold should have an advantage for interior parts of Maryland and northern Virginia, throughout the Northeast.

Unfortunately there just isn't a whole lot of cold air around. It's been raining since 4 am here. Currently 38F.

I mean, check out this map from 4:45 this evening. There is just no polar air to be found.

Screen Shot 2023-01-18 at 4.43.29 PM.png

Edited by telejunkie
  • LIKE 1

• Admin
5 hours ago, Penn State said:

I should be somewhat cautious.. I feel I'm at the risk of model hugging the ECMWF. There's still quite a bit of variation in regard to track and precipitation type. If climatology is a guide, it is January.. the cold should have an advantage for interior parts of Maryland and northern Virginia, throughout the Northeast.

1077506865_OperationalComparison(Hour108).gif.fa523bca048ff259e9eb73fa83e280b1.gif

Unfortunately there is no cold to force this, nor is the PNA in a good position. A poor PNA can be handled by a other mitigating factors, however, with no HP to anchor and very little cold air and well... I would think this is an inland runner or a cutter. 

• LIKE 1