January 22-23, 2023 | Winter Storm

Penn State

At 12:30 pm we are at 28F and received 4" of very fluffy snow.  Most models were showing less than 2" here and the NWS had us at 3".  I think the first inch we picked up quickly last night was unexpected.  The wind has started to pick up here and now I'm going to get the snowblower going.

This snowfall map is through 7 am this morning so it was still snowing in many of these places.  I think the heavy band running through central VT was about 30 miles further north than expected.  That is probably why I did a little better than expected.

snowfall.png

• LIKE 3
  • THUMBS UP 1

• The title was changed to January 22-23, 2023 | Winter Storm
  • Admin

Had to go out for a midday snow blow, so the wife could get down the driveway. Seemed like about 6" more, on top of the 4" from this morning. 

I'd say about 10" so far is about right.  Knee deep walking over to the sledding"hill".

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1
  • SNOWMAN 3
  • LOVE 3

• Moderators

Was just thinking how I shocked I was I haven't heard any brappers out there today since it's been a month since they last could get out....just as a finished the thought a group of three went racing by the house. Hoping they'll cut a trail for me up to the mountain pass.

• LIKE 2

• Admin

Next town over reporting 13".

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GRAY ME
211 PM EST MON JAN 23 2023

..TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON...
..DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....
            ..REMARKS..

0200 PM     SNOW             2 SE NEW GLOUCESTER     43.94N 70.25W
01/23/2023  M13.0 INCH       CUMBERLAND         ME   PUBLIC

TOTAL AS OF 2 PM.

• LIKE 1

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, telejunkie said:

Was just thinking how I shocked I was I haven't heard any brappers out there today since it's been a month since they last could get out....just as a finished the thought a group of three went racing by the house. Hoping they'll cut a trail for me up to the mountain pass.

Are brappers snowmobilers?

• Moderators
1 minute ago, StretchCT said:

Are brappers snowmobilers?

Yup....I think I'm just about the only one in my town without one. If we had regular snow, I might think about it, but just doesn't seem to happen much these days. 

• THUMBS UP 1

2 minutes ago, telejunkie said:

Yup....I think I'm just about the only one in my town without one. If we had regular snow, I might think about it, but just doesn't seem to happen much these days. 

Saw NH Fish and Game had a few rescues this weekend with snowmobilers. One sunk into thin ice and someone else crashed. 

• SAD 1
  • FACEPALM 1

1 hour ago, MaineJay said:

Had to go out for a midday snow blow, so the wife could get down the driveway. Seemed like about 6" more, on top of the 4" from this morning. 

I'd say about 10" so far is about right.  Knee deep walking over to the sledding"hill".

We are about 10-12 - still snowing pretty good here after a lull around lunch time.  

• LIKE 2
  • SNOWMAN 4

22 minutes ago, telejunkie said:

A trail runs along part of the road I live on and haven't seen a trace of one all winter when there has been snow. I figure they will be out in force this weekend. 

I'd love to have one also but I just don't want something else I would have to maintain. 

• LIKE 1

• Moderators
21 minutes ago, TheRex said:

A trail runs along part of the road I live on and haven't seen a trace of one all winter when there has been snow. I figure they will be out in force this weekend. 

I'd love to have one also but I just don't want something else I would have to maintain. 

Yeah, it's just massive field systems here, can go for miles between the fields....that's what most snowmobilers here do. There is a trail that heads up to Dorset Peak. Seemingly it usually takes the more adventurous snowmobiler to be the first to lay track up it.

• Admin

17" report out of NH.

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GRAY ME
426 PM EST MON JAN 23 2023

..TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON...
..DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....
            ..REMARKS..

0425 PM     SNOW             1 NW SUNAPEE            43.40N 72.10W
01/23/2023  M17.0 INCH       SULLIVAN           NH   TRAINED SPOTTER

• LIKE 1
  • WOW 1

Last few flakes falling here. Fluffy 12”.  Plowed out and ready for round 2 on Thursday.  Snow pack is weird, this new 12” sits on top of 6” of sleet now frozen solid enough to support the dog and I without breaking through. There was also 3” of a mealy snow on the grass beneath the sleet layer.   Snow pack water content has to be getting up there  and come spring thaw with a now frozen and locked in rain saturated ground??? Potential troubles..😳 

• LIKE 4