January 22-23, 2023 | Winter Storm

Penn State

34 minutes ago, JDClapper said:

Accurite pro weather center. I had my dad whip up something to put it on so i could get it away from buildings and get decent wind readings. Curious how temps will go being close to roof, especially this summer.

20230122_114116.jpg

Nerd. 

• LAUGH 3
  • TROPHY 1

Light snow started here at 6:30 pm.  I was surprised to see it start this early.  At 7:30 pm we have 28F and about a 1/4" of snow over the last hour.  The models aren't showing much more of than inch up this way but BTV NWS has us with 2"-5" between now and tomorrow evening.  I'm hoping the NWS is right.

• LIKE 2

1 hour ago, JDClapper said:

Accurite pro weather center. I had my dad whip up something to put it on so i could get it away from buildings and get decent wind readings. Curious how temps will go being close to roof, especially this summer.

20230122_114116.jpg

Your dad looks like he knows what he's doing when building a pedestal for a weather station.  

I've got mine on a 6 foot PVC pipe attached to a fence post.  I was making sure I could make it easy to change the batteries if needed.

• LIKE 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, JDClapper said:

Funny how earlier at 38 degrees there were sleet and snow flakes with drips.. now at 33/34 its just a light rain and drizzle.

Its not actually funny tho.

We started off here at 37/38 with a little snow, gradually mixed with rain.  We went out to eat and I saw it snowing pretty good while inside, but when we left, it was all rain and 35.   So yeah, temp dropped and it went completely to rain.  NW of 202 in Litchfield Cty is mostly 32 or below though.

Edited by StretchCT
  • DISAPPOINTED 1
  • &$!#% 1

At 8:30 pm I measured just over an inch of very dry and fluffy snow.  The atmosphere must be cold in these parts.  It has already overperformed many of the recent model runs for snowfall through 1 pm tomorrow.  I think there are going to be some big numbers by the end of this storm through southern VT, central and southern NH and ME.

• LIKE 1

• Meteorologist

NAM tries to throw a little something something back this way as we exit but im not sure I buy it. I can definitely see areas of SNE switching over Mass and northern CT/ RI probably could get small accumulation as the storm starts to deepen quickly from off the Jersey coast.

namconus_ref_frzn_neus_fh5-15.gif

12 minutes ago, so_whats_happening said:

In most cases with WAA and no cold trying to filter in you would want temps at 850mb to be around -2 or cooler. ABE and and IPT reporting rain from just a few minutes ago. 

Yep, 0.12" of wastwd qpf so far.. other than a thin layer of pure gloop on the cars and grass.

• &$!#% 1

• Meteorologist
3 minutes ago, JDClapper said:

Yep, 0.12" of wastwd qpf so far.. other than a thin layer of pure gloop on the cars and grass.

Well it is something to see that areas of TX and OK will have more snow than me this year so don't feel too bad having some snow thus far.

• DISAPPOINTED 1
  • SAD 1

• Meteorologist
9 minutes ago, StretchCT said:

Does the correlation coefficient reflect a mix at this level?  
F2EA3CA6-8F69-4648-93F1-DC6050F5F6FF.thumb.jpeg.02c5b6976d2c8076d8a153be73326e42.jpeg

Most likely no given that area is in solidly the warm portion of the storm. 925mb temps across much of SNE are from 2-5C until you get back to central and western Mass where we go from 0 to 2C.

hmmm reading back maybe I misunderstood the question. If you are asking if CC can find mixing there is a possibility it can see mixed lines but haven't used it for such purposes. It most likely is just dropout from being close to the radar site.

Edited by so_whats_happening
  • LIKE 1