January 24-25, 2023 | Plains/MW/GL/OV Winter Storm

MesoscaleBanding

15 minutes ago, Central Illinois said:

How did are Toledo folks do? I know it was gonna be a close call for them @Jpfalcon

4.0 to 4.5" with pretty high density snow, especially on pavement. I think Toledo Express has gotten 0.55" of water equivalent, so that could have normally been 5.5" to 6.0" on grass.

Edited by Chinook
  • LOVE 3

33 minutes ago, RobB said:

A few local snow reports!

image.thumb.png.c410ed3d862e87fd5225cdc0c76dc4c3.png

I can verify that 6.7 in MI. I just measured at 6.5 a little further north of there with a healthy snow still falling. I’ll get some pictures up in a bit when we’re closer to done.

Edited by easton229
  • LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1
  • LOVE 1

1 minute ago, easton229 said:

I can verify that 6.7 in MI. I just measured at 6.5 a little further north of there with a healthy snow still falling. I’ll get some pictures up in a bit when we’re closer to done.

Awesome!  Sounds good..

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, FortySixAnd32 said:

Snow squall warning in Nebraska!!! Maybe we'll get sum a dat tomorrow....

Fingers crossed.

Here's some of CLE's AFD discussing the possibility.

Outside of the snowbelt we should see a general lull with no snow or just very light snow late tonight into Thursday morning. As a potent shortwave moves through late Thursday and Thursday evening lift from the shortwave, moisture from Lake Michigan, and low-level instability will favor numerous snow showers across our forecast area, with some hi-res models explicitly depicting localized bands of heavier snow across even our southern counties late in the day Thursday. Given abundant lingering synoptic moisture and some forcing went with likely to categorical (60-80%) POPs for all areas at some point Thursday afternoon or evening, maxing out when the shortwave and fetch off of Lake Michigan are most favorably aligned over a given area. Forecast soundings reveal steep lapse rates and high humidity through the dendritic growth zone Thursday afternoon and evening, so there will be enough juice for snow showers to be briefly moderate to heavy even outside of the more typical lake effect with the help of the passing shortwave and some broad low- level convergence to help focus activity.

Have widespread light accumulations Thursday afternoon/evening, mainly under an inch outside of the snowbelt but in the realm of 1 to locally 3" in the higher terrain of the Central Highlands where some upslope may help squeeze out more snow. Locally higher amounts could play out if narrow bands of squallier snow can materialize as some hi-res models depict. With timing on either side of sunset Thursday as air temperatures drop below freezing and into the 20s, a combination of briefly reduced visibility in more intense snow showers and potentially snowy/icy roads may lead to hazardous travel conditions. Will add a mention to the Hazardous Weather Outlook for parts of the area to highlight this potential. Activity outside of the snowbelt ends overnight Thursday night or early Friday as high pressure builds in and surface winds turn out of a drier southwesterly direction.

• LOVE 1

• Moderators

This is one edge I don’t mind being on.  Just missed that “heavy” swath of snow-eating rain which was moving NE.

720AF8BA-5904-4DB8-9E7A-2962E7446A9E.png

Edited by Hiramite
  • LIKE 1

1 hour ago, Central Illinois said:

How did are Toledo folks do? I know it was gonna be a close call for them @Jpfalcon

Measured 5” around 3:30 and have picked up another inch since then with the backside. So about 6” inch total in Delta. Definitely compacted a bit so I’d say 7” probably fell. About 20 miles west of Toledo. 

Backbreaking snow to remove from the driveway. 

Edited by NWOhioChaser
  • LIKE 2

35 minutes ago, Hiramite said:

This is one edge I don’t mind being on.  Just missed that “heavy” swath of snow-eating rain which was moving NE.

720AF8BA-5904-4DB8-9E7A-2962E7446A9E.png

I didn’t I got over a half inch of rain from it and it was a squall line with winds 

0094337C-58F7-496A-9FB9-3A793887D979.png

98C19708-C1FA-4D9A-9EAD-C1CC2ED1A5FB.png

Edited by Hassaywx1223

10 minutes ago, easton229 said:

Any accumulating snow is done here for the night so took my final measurement and got 7” on the dot. Also had to take some night time pics because of how cool it looks out right now. DTX was spot on with this one calling for 6-8”.

74D9E93B-7F67-478C-A54B-26306A3DF769.jpeg

006B5A91-7437-4952-9867-76984E75E444.jpeg

464C8695-2FEA-4A82-9D24-BEB267A369E4.jpeg

6F007576-60E5-4F36-ADF4-C3AF7A70DDE0.jpeg

39118B35-18EA-4028-AF7F-901E0A685118.jpeg

Absolutely beautiful! 🤘

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

3 hours ago, Central Illinois said:

Measured about 4.5-5" when I got home. Assume some compaction from earlier. Really heavy stuff, snowblower was having some trouble. The warmer ground temps hurt early on. 

• LIKE 2