January 24-25, 2023 | Plains/MW/GL/OV Winter Storm

MesoscaleBanding

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, cperry29 said:

https://www.weather.gov/source/crh/snowmap.html?zoom=8.075902571694881&lat=39.19&lon=-83.85&hr=24 

Link for snow reports. Looks like a general 2-3” for a lot of areas.

Maybe just happenstance, but that was a common number for the SREFs in OH.  I haven't looked at or compared anything yet, but I will do a comparison once it's finished.

Edited by Hiramite
  • LIKE 1

3 minutes ago, Hiramite said:

Maybe just happenstance, but that was a common number for the SREFs in OH.  I haven't looked at or compared anything yet, but I will do a comparison once it's finished.

I noticed many 2.3 to 2.5 inch means.  Only a couple of times were there some quite higher numbers.

• THUMBS UP 1

5 minutes ago, Hiramite said:

That would be neat to see. I like comparing before and after to see what went wrong… how models performed etc. Post battle assessment, if you will. 

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, cperry29 said:

That would be neat to see. I like comparing before and after to see what went wrong… how models performed etc. Post battle assessment, if you will. 

I do a before and after SREF comparison after every storm that I do a SREF Tracker.

I'll also be adding a Low Tracker comparison as well.

• THANKS 2

Just now, cperry29 said:

I gotta say....the RGEM was absolutely superb the 2 storms prior to this and heading in to last night....it certainly was the most conservative with amounts...more blues than pinks....just 1 strip up OH around here that missed too far to the SE But I would say as a whole...its performance gets the gold medal again 

also keep in mind by this point snow has already fallen in the SW quadrant of the storm

sn10_acc-imp.conus.png

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

1 minute ago, MesoscaleBanding said:

Ugh - was hoping the decent snowpack would keep the torch from getting too bad this afternoon...Nope! Blew right past the forecast high of 37° & now currently sitting at 42°💩

At least from my observations, snow cover seems to usually do little if anything to prevent a temp surge with a strong southern push coming through. 

• THUMBS UP 1

1 minute ago, MesoscaleBanding said:

Ugh - was hoping the decent snowpack would keep the torch from getting too bad this afternoon...Nope! Blew right past the forecast high of 37° & now currently sitting at 42°💩

still no grass tips here, sunset cant come fast enough. about another 5 hour until freezing

• LIKE 1

41 minutes ago, Chambana said:

Yikes, just due north of me has 1” and melting, definitely a bust around here, oh well! 

off to eat soup and grilled cheese sandwich, perfect meal on a snow day. Enjoy the storm for those in the jackpot 😁

For me, today is a perfect day to take a nap.

• THANKS 1

26 minutes ago, Ohiobuckeye45 said:

still no grass tips here, sunset cant come fast enough. about another 5 hour until freezing

"Show us your tips!" was NOT yelled to his grass on this day!  No, "Be covered!" and it was so 🙂 I do admittedly need help 😋

Edited by RobB
  • LAUGH 4

Sure why not a line of heavier showers/thundershowers develop along the cold front! It’s currently 43 IMBY. grass is showing again it’s raining with more to come the failure of the cold air and this system is at this point sickening. Look up the upper levels just develop this line on radar the last hour amazing 

Edited by Hassaywx1223

• Moderators

IDK what the deal is, both thermometers still only reading 34.  Still quite a bit of snow out there and things are certainly melting plus some rain. 

I see this quite often these cooler than expected readings...so either I need two new thermometers or light southerly wind coming down the forested hill behind the house keeps things cool....or maybe both.

Edited by Hiramite
  • LIKE 2

Just now, Hiramite said:

IDK what the deal is, both thermometers still only reading 34.  Still quite a bit of snow out there and things are certainly melting plus some rain. 

I see this quite often this cooler than expected readings...so either I need two new thermometers or light southerly wind coming down the forested hill behind the house keeps things cool....or maybe both.

Interesting!

The temps made it to 44.4 in my back yard.  Down to 39.5 now..

1 minute ago, Hiramite said:

I see this quite often this cooler than expected readings...so either I need two new thermometers or light southerly wind coming down the forested hill behind the house keeps things cool....or maybe both.

Get 1 new one and compare. 

Just now, FortySixAnd32 said:

48° and I just shoveled gel!!! That's what I'm calling it. You know, like the stuff in those freezer packs????🤷‍♂️

Perfectly described.  That's what it was like on my back deck this morning....

• LOVE 1