January 24-25, 2023 | Plains/MW/GL/OV Winter Storm

MesoscaleBanding

• Admin
9 minutes ago, Shiver Me Timbers said:

I thought I toned it exactly the way it should have been. I'm literally just wondering if there is pressure to improve... that's all. I know we're only human...  but this is a really really bad forecast. And we're not talking about the 24 or 48 hour forecast. It was essentially a nowcast. And it wasn't anything like what was really happening

You've made your point. Moving on.

• THANKS 1

Certainly don't want to get into a back and forth, but forecasting has greatly improved, especially for severe weather events over the past 20-30 years. Winter weather will always have more variables that can impact systems in several directions. Sometimes those things get missed.

• LIKE 4
  • THUMBS UP 1
  • THANKS 1

• Admin
3 minutes ago, Mindlessheep said:

Just to show I'm just a hater of snow but appreciate the forum, I will match you

It's interesting that there are multiple Genoas in Ohio! I'm not far from Genoa Township.. but I think you're up by Toledo, yes?

And thank you SO much!

• LIKE 1

• The title was changed to January 24-25, 2023 | Plains/MW/GL/OV Winter Storm
4 minutes ago, BuckeyeGal said:

It's interesting that there are multiple Genoas in Ohio! I'm not far from Genoa Township.. but I think you're up by Toledo, yes?

And thank you SO much!

I used to work in Genoa near Toledo, it's a village while you guys are obviously a township. Definitely a good trivia question though.

5 minutes ago, Jpfalcon said:

Bigger question is if you pronounced it "Gen-noah" or Gen-o-wah".

I know you weren't talking to me but i'm failing to figure how those two pronunciations are different. 🤓

19 minutes ago, Jpfalcon said:

Certainly don't want to get into a back and forth, but forecasting has greatly improved, especially for severe weather events over the past 20-30 years. Winter weather will always have more variables that can impact systems in several directions. Sometimes those things get missed.

My only .02 is that with these types of lows skirting so close to the Gulf, there’s always a unforeseen factor regarding exactly how much warm air gets pulled into the ULL. Even with improvements in forecasting, these events do tend to come down to now casting. 

moving on indeed. that being said…5” here just west of Lucas/Fulton county line.  And probably an inch or two compacted at this point. 

20ADA163-EBA1-4120-AE59-6395A74463E3.jpeg

• LIKE 4
  • LOVE 1

Browsing FB and locals here in Toledo are dragging mets through the coals. Forecast was 6-8" and in Toledo I see about 1/2 of that when all said and done. Detroit on NE looks to be the winners but definitely getting to the end here soon in Toledo. 

• LIKE 1
  • LOVE 1

12 minutes ago, ryanmkay said:

Browsing FB and locals here in Toledo are dragging mets through the coals. Forecast was 6-8" and in Toledo I see about 1/2 of that when all said and done. Detroit on NE looks to be the winners but definitely getting to the end here soon in Toledo. 

Returns really drying up on radar. So I’d have to agree with backside coming fairly soon. Amounts…that’s a different story. BlizzardBill measured 6” in Maumee not that long ago, but I have a friend on the east side that said there’s only about 3.5 on his back porch. I just think marginal temps and compacting is the culprit here. 

Not to single anyone out, but most locals don’t exactly know how these two factors alone can affect totals. Yet, can agree on the fact that it’s a literal “heavy” snow. Some can see how that cause and effect comes into play and yet STILL choose to bash pro Mets. A darn shame. Event isn’t quite over yet, but getting close. Even with all the compacting, I feel that 4-8” was a sound forecast for NWOH/SEMI. 

Edited by NWOhioChaser
  • LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1