January 24-25, 2023 | Plains/MW/GL/OV Winter Storm

MesoscaleBanding

4 minutes ago, Hiramite said:

Really.  It's beautiful out there with the snow covered branches.

That's the only thing I like about wet snow...The beauty of it sticking to trees and such!

• LIKE 2
  • THUMBS UP 1

1 minute ago, Cary67 said:

Biggest snow of the year finally covering grass tips. Maybe 2-3" for totals although parts of southern LOT 3-5". See Indy and DTW looking good. Sorry for Columbus and pts south like Cincy.

Screenshot_20230125_074616_Gallery.jpg

hopefully the first of a few 1-3'' events up that way in the next week

For whatever reason my local airport gives inaccurate reports. It's snowing hard right now. but they report "light snow." This with 1/2 mi. visibility. Yet no fog. Is that not the textbook definition of moderate snow? So according to them, it's snowed at the same rate all morning. Riiiiiiiiiiight.

They also report only a few hundredths of an inch total precip yet we have easily 2 inches on the ground. And they are to my south by a few miles. It's surely snowed a little harder down there, if anything. Is this somehow automated - or do I need to apply for a position over there so the county can have accurate weather reporting? 

image.thumb.png.984158993bb39d844cb944c25d8caadd.png

Edited by Shiver Me Timbers
  • THINKING 1
  • SKEPTICAL 1

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, RobB said:

That's the only thing I like about wet snow...The beauty of it sticking to trees and such!

I'm agreeing with the "beauty of it sticking to trees". 

I like snow wet, med and dry. 😆

7 minutes ago, Hiramite said:

I'm agreeing with the "beauty of it sticking to trees". 

I like snow wet, med and dry. 😆

this passed weekend's snow was probably the perfect snow....it was the "dryest wettest" snow I can remember.....the anticipation of what that event was going to be is actually what transpired today. Similar on paper (models), completely different at the surface

• LIKE 1
  • LOVE 1

17 minutes ago, Cheezemm2 said:

I love that both Columbus, IN and Columbus, OH are in the rain...not really.  Did the sleet last more than an hour in Cbus, OH, I've been in work calls all morning and need to know if I need to go outside and eat sleet.  

Congrats to our Indiana/MI folks, you certainly deserved one!

otter-eating-snow-zeepiwp7owwz8h2a.gif

• LAUGH 1

5 minutes ago, Ohiobuckeye45 said:

this passed weekend's snow was probably the perfect snow....it was the "dryest wettest" snow I can remember.....the anticipation of what that event was going to be is actually what transpired today. Similar on paper (models), completely different at the surface

Great way to describe it!!!

Thundersnow reported between Ft. Wayne and Van Wert. Meanwhile, still coming down at very good clip. Probably approaching 3” at this point. Pasty sticking to everything. Roads are starting to deteriorate. Thinking most of the accumulation happens between now and 3pm.

48A12AAA-9C75-491C-A82F-105F8278A09E.png

Edited by NWOhioChaser
  • LIKE 1
  • LOVE 1

46 minutes ago, mafa said:

The point and click is taking that into account. Says 1-2inches possible for Westerville yet less than an inch near the airport. 

I could still end up with more from tomorrow's squalls than from today's "main event..." 

• THUMBS UP 1

12 minutes ago, Hassaywx1223 said:

Snowed 2 inches now it’s raining roads will be fine by 2-4 pm here. I shoveled my drive and didn’t even need salt over hyped event by many meteorologists in northeast Ohio IMO

Over-hyped or under-performed? Every model depicted something more than -- this... There are still grassy areas exposed on the downwind side of buildings. We were supposed to get a half foot according to the models. Instead, 2". This from a storm that took an almost perfect path for us. Oh well. It's pretty.

• Admin
8 minutes ago, Shiver Me Timbers said:

Looks like another bust for central Indiana. We've only got about 2 inches; the rate is declining, and the back end is rapidly approaching. This just two hours after SPC warned of several hours of heavy snow :classic_sad:

Every model had 5"+ for my county

Oh no. 😞