January 24-25, 2023 | Plains/MW/GL/OV Winter Storm

MesoscaleBanding

• Meteorologist

Biggest difference between the 06z and 12z NAM is that the 06z re-intensifies the upper low over north-central Texas later today with a closed 546 isobar, while the 12z NAM keeps it the same strength until further down the road. Definitely something to watch in mesoanalysis. 

• LIKE 1
  • THANKS 1

2 minutes ago, easton229 said:

There’s my 20 miles north I needed.

Looks like a 3"-4" event for us. Normally I'd be annoyed to be a couple counties away, but a nice little coating to set the mood without the crippling shoveling or impassable roads sounds perfect. Maybe its a sign that I'm getting old lol

• LIKE 1
  • LAUGH 1

Just now, RobB said:

Normally I tell friends/family what to expect with snow totals.  1 to 10 inches ought to cover it 😉

big risk/reward area on the southern edge of these maps.  If the warm nose the NAM is advertising happens, some big bust potential on some of these warning areas  (south of 70 in IN and OH)

• THUMBS UP 1

No surprise here.....

A midlevel dry slot down to 600mb has been introduced in the steeper
low track 24.00Z NAM solution. This dry slot was substantial enough
to show the saturation stripping out through the entirety of the
DGZ.

Edit: also this, lol

With the onset of the accumulating snowfall some 26 to 27
hours out, feel there is time yet before headline decisions need to
be made. Based on the more bullish of model solutions, the likely
timeframe to meet warning criteria would be after 21Z Wednesday,
some 36 hours out.
Edited by ryanmkay
  • LIKE 1

7 minutes ago, RadioWX said:

big risk/reward area on the southern edge of these maps.  If the warm nose the NAM is advertising happens, some big bust potential on some of these warning areas  (south of 70 in IN and OH)

With the short rangers I’m willing to bet some of the warnings bust but we’ll see. Got a whole day of these short rangers to change their tune. But I don’t see 4-6 happening here. 

Edited by Snow____
  • LIKE 1

1 minute ago, Snow____ said:

With the short rangers I’m willing to bet some of the warnings bust but we’ll see. Got a whole day of these short rangers to change their tune. But I don’t see 4-6 happening here. 

Hopefully you'll be surprised but yeah, 4 to 6 looks to be tough. Hopefully you get hit by major banding.

12 minutes ago, RobB said:

Hopefully you'll be surprised but yeah, 4 to 6 looks to be tough. Hopefully you get hit by major banding.

I’m hoping for some surprises. Just need a good couple bands of heavy snow to make me happy.

• THUMBS UP 1