January 24-25, 2023 | Plains/MW/GL/OV Winter Storm

MesoscaleBanding

Nice to see so many familiar faces over here. Typically this track does well for my area, and this one looks no different, should be a solid hit for E. central Illinois. 

thermals frighten me some, but it should be absolutely ripping, so it should not matter. 

final call for Champaign: 6.9”

Edited by Chambana
  • LIKE 3

• Moderators

From CLE: 😀

Precipitation will initially fall as snow with surface temperatures expected to be in the upper 20s to low 30s and the column fully below 32 F. Strong frontogenesis in the 850-700mb layer along the northern periphery of the LLJ is expected to aid in mesoscale banding across our forecast area, which may lead to a snowband of increases snowfall rates moving across the area Wednesday morning, especially during the morning commute. Strong lift within the dendritic growth zone should also lead to increased snow ratios, with snowfall rates of up to one inch per hour with the heaviest snow bands.

And the overnight BIG Picture is a bit disjointed.

image.thumb.png.feb056bbc7c074b1d783e8327ba23b3e.png

• LIKE 1
  • TROPHY 2

• Admin
5 minutes ago, Hiramite said:

From CLE: 😀

Precipitation will initially fall as snow with surface temperatures expected to be in the upper 20s to low 30s and the column fully below 32 F. Strong frontogenesis in the 850-700mb layer along the northern periphery of the LLJ is expected to aid in mesoscale banding across our forecast area, which may lead to a snowband of increases snowfall rates moving across the area Wednesday morning, especially during the morning commute. Strong lift within the dendritic growth zone should also lead to increased snow ratios, with snowfall rates of up to one inch per hour with the heaviest snow bands.

And the overnight BIG Picture is a bit disjointed.

image.thumb.png.feb056bbc7c074b1d783e8327ba23b3e.png

Dear CLE,

Please go talk to ILN about that yellow over my house, since they think I’m getting half that amount.

☃️,

Amy

• LIKE 1
  • LAUGH 2

• Moderators

For those that might not know, here is just one explanation of mesoscale banding.  Others, feel free to chime in.

Snow banding is a concentration of falling snow over a three to six hour period in a 20 to 50 mile area. Usually, he says the systems are oriented west to east, moving north. The convergence of winds cause the precipitation to spread into a band. Since it evolves from a synoptic snow event, Kowaleski says it can happen any where in the Midwest. He says his weather team anticipates banding, but it is tough to pinpoint the exact location of the heaviest snow fall.

https://www.theweatherprediction.com/weatherpapers/023/index.html

• LIKE 1
  • TROPHY 2

52 minutes ago, Chambana said:

Nice to see so many familiar faces over here. Typically this track does well for my area, and this one looks no different, should be a solid hit for E. central Illinois. 

thermals frighten me some, but it should be absolutely ripping, so it should not matter. 

final call for Champaign: 6.9”

It’s been a long time! Glad to see you around. Did you ever make it to wxdisco?

11 minutes ago, MesoscaleBanding said:

Dipped down to 22°F this morning - the remaining 3-4" of snowpack from Sunday is now a crusty glacier.

Clear skies helped with some radiational cooling this morning

• THUMBS UP 2