January 24-25, 2023 | Plains/MW/GL/OV Winter Storm

MesoscaleBanding

• Moderators
19 minutes ago, Ohiobuckeye45 said:

The NAM just went even further NW lol tracks to S. IL now

I don't see too much difference in the track in that area, but the precip shield has definitely shifted north...edit....which is the important part, lol.

trend-nam-2023012318-f045.ref1km_ptype.us_mw.gif

Edited by Hiramite

NAM is starting to enter its useful time period so can't entirely throw it out even if it really only has GFS support. Probably start to see some clarity from some models on the 0z runs this evening and almost certainly by the 12z tomorrow morning.

• LIKE 1

I don't like what I am seeing for all of us on the south and east sides of the track.  Just a gut feeling.  Still time though and nothing is near definite.

Edited by beaver56
  • LIKE 1
  • FACEPALM 1
  • THUMBS DOWN 1

11 minutes ago, Hiramite said:

I don't see too much difference in the track in that area, but the precip shield has definitely shifted north...edit....which is the important part, lol.

trend-nam-2023012318-f045.ref1km_ptype.us_mw.gif

Snowpack still on the ground and warm air with stubborn surface temps, seeing the red/orange flare up had to show up at some point.

• LIKE 1

2 minutes ago, Hiramite said:

Refresher for WSWarning Criteria.  You guys in MI have a "high bar".

image.png.ea5ad8751030f9b8b7978807ff4e5f9d.png

Not gospel though. WSW here for the pre-Christmas event that was pretty much nothing snow wise. DTX/GRR typically consider other factors (wind, temps, etc.) when issuing these. Most of us can agree on here though that DTX is probably one of the most conservative NWS offices when it comes to winter storms.

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Jpfalcon said:

Not gospel though. WSW here for the pre-Christmas event that was pretty much nothing snow wise. DTX/GRR typically consider other factors (wind, temps, etc.) when issuing these. Most of us can agree on here though that DTX is probably one of the most conservative NWS offices when it comes to winter storms.

True on the "not gospel" part.  We had some brief discussion here during that pre-Christmas storm regarding the other factors.