January 24-25, 2023 | Plains/MW/GL/OV Winter Storm

MesoscaleBanding

3 hours ago, beaver56 said:

Sorry, but trusting the GFS is very hard to do.  I think most of the models are pretty inconsistent.  The CMC could be very legit on the narrow band aspect as temps are going to be a major factor for sure.  I will wake up Wednesday, God willing, and go about business either way.

GFS has been terrible this winter IMO. Wants to amplify too soon. It did this with the pre-Christmas storm even with a near record HP in place. I agree with you that the CMC has a good idea that heavier amounts will be in a much narrower swath than what most models show. My worry overall lies in the combination of marginal temps with the potential storms down south.

I think IceRisistance mentioned earlier that models were underestimating the cold in the storm. Personally, I don’t see that to be the case. But perhaps that a downsignal that I’ve yet to experience. Temps forecasted are right on par with recorded temps. (36 forecasted, 36.4 observerd)

Personally I think ground temps is what is going to kill us most in the end. 

Edited by NWOhioChaser

2 minutes ago, Hiramite said:

So many lines and dots...

For now, we'll go with a play-by-play.....the 12Z NAM is currently just west of the 12Z GFS for the entire track. 

I really like those maps, you'll have some cool storm history after you're done with them!  I'm just being needy.

As much as models drive me nuts, I do like when there's a "winner" and the rest cave.  That has to feel good to model author(s)!

• LIKE 2

• Moderators

FWIW, in looking back over the Low Trackers, I started with the 1-21-23 0Z run (2.5 days ago) and here are my observations.  (I believe this was prior to 'sampling' ?)

The Euro essentially hasn't moved.  The Canadian has moved east about 100 miles early and since held pretty steady.  The GFS has moved west about 100 miles after Day 1 and held its ground.  Who will be correct, if any???

Edited by Hiramite
  • LIKE 1
  • THANKS 1

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Hiramite said:

FWIW, in looking back over the Low Trackers, I started with the 1-21-23 0Z run (2.5 days ago) and here are my observations.  (I believe this was prior to 'sampling' ?)

The Euro essentially hasn't moved.  The Canadian has moved east about 100 miles early and since held pretty steady.  The GFS has moved west about 100 miles after Day 1 and held its ground.  Who will be correct, if any???

NAM also on the west track FWIW

• THUMBS UP 1

4 minutes ago, Hiramite said:

Basing this off of no specific knowlege or wisdom other than the feeling that The Euro is more often the winner on the track, I feel like its probably going to be the Euro with the correct track this time around. It just feels like its generally more accurate on the track for most storms. 

8 minutes ago, Hiramite said:

I never gave you credit before but thank you for providing this very detailed information on how models behave. 

Your observations and knowledge is one of the ways that I personally learn as an enthusiast.

• THUMBS UP 1
  • THANKS 1

1 minute ago, NWOhioChaser said:

I never gave you credit before but thank you for providing this very detailed information on how models behave. 

Your observations and knowledge is one of the ways that I personally learn as an enthusiast.

SREF tracker too. Hiramite for MVP

• LAUGH 1
  • THUMBS UP 1
  • TROPHY 2

• Moderators

Point & click bumped up the snow a tad here in NE OH before going to rain.  CLE's 3:00 Expected Snow Map update still a work in progress although High & Low are completed.

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, CleLakeEffect said:

SREF tracker too. Hiramite for MVP

I kind of put the SREF's on the back burner with the Pivotal SREF 10:1 snow maps available.  Maybe do them by request only instead of having so many locations???