January 24-25, 2023 | Plains/MW/GL/OV Winter Storm

MesoscaleBanding

Just now, Ohiobuckeye45 said:

CMC

sn10_acc-imp.conus.png

Definitely one of those rare occasions where much of the thread area will see snows.  Obviously, highest totals will be limited but hard to complain overall.  Assuming this is how things work out.

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, Nanigator said:

Watching here in Eastern MO near the St Chas / Warren / Franklin County lines. Looks like we're in for 3-5" depending on the temp!

Screenshot 2023-01-23 084845.png

Welcome to the forum!

4 minutes ago, RobB said:

Definitely one of those rare occasions where much of the thread area will see snows.  Obviously, highest totals will be limited but hard to complain overall.  Assuming this is how things work out.

I’m very curious to see how the specific amounts of the front end thump evolve in future short range runs…

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 2

Just now, JayPSU said:

I’m very curious to see how the specific amounts of the front end thump evolve in future short range runs…

At what point in time do we start putting more stock in the short range models rather than the long range models?  18z runs tonight?

Just now, JayPSU said:

Totally agree.  I definitely will be following the short rangers for that particular aspect.  Good luck!

• LIKE 1

1 minute ago, Hiramite said:

Welcome to the forum!

Thank you! I could have swore I posted here last year but I guess I haven't yet. I was on WxDisco for years and left when most others did. I then followed thru the discord, and then after this site was thankfully created! I love the weather and all you all on this forum and hope this little system gets us our first frozen precip of '23!  Best of luck to everyone! 🙂

• LIKE 3
  • THUMBS UP 1
  • LOVE 3

1 minute ago, Nanigator said:

Thank you! I could have swore I posted here last year but I guess I haven't yet. I was on WxDisco for years and left when most others did. I then followed thru the discord, and then after this site was thankfully created! I love the weather and all you all on this forum and hope this little system gets us our first frozen precip of '23!  Best of luck to everyone! 🙂

Maybe you were on WXDisco previously?

• THUMBS UP 1

9 minutes ago, Grace said:

floop-rap-2023012315.ref1km_ptype.us_ov.gif

Screenshot_20230123-101253_Chrome.jpg

Another big take away from the 15z is that the energy associated with the ULL trended east. Whatever truly occurs with the ULL is the wildcard in all of this. 

One variable that leads to the 3km, ARW, HRRR, & RAP to have the solutions they do is that they track the ULL further SE. Now it's just one factor, there are other factors out ahead on front end of system that leads to tHat outcome as well. 

trend-rap-2023012315-f044.500hv.us_ov.gif

Edited by Grace
  • THUMBS UP 1

2 minutes ago, Wnwniner said:

Is it me or does that spread get worse/wider in 12z?  I would think it would be getting a tighter spread at this point.

well oddity of it is, the GFS for several runs was way west of the ENS, the ENS have since started coming west to the OP, which its usually the opposite. So I could see why the spread is still a little disbursed