January 24-25, 2023 | Plains/MW/GL/OV Winter Storm

MesoscaleBanding

Looks like our energy is onshore now so I don’t expect much major shifting from run to run but rather ticks here and there which is significant for those on the line of course. Although you still want to be cautious with these storms that dive that deep into Mexico. 

Edited by junior

The long range NAM and RGEM. the NAM I take with a grain of salt with its typical over doing of things in the LR. Trackwise similar the RGEM a little east. But how does the NAM just not have any QPF under the low? Suddenly it's just become an all snow only storm, highly doubtful. The RGEM looks more realistic on several factors 

models-2023012206-f084.sn10_024h-imp.conus.gif

models-2023012206-f084.prateptype-imp.conus.gif

• Moderators

0Z Low Party Tracker:

No big changes but some flipping and flopping going on.  All models eventually show a late jump to the coast once the low exits NE OH.

Ukie: no line, just X's.   Grabbed the wrong highlighter for the final location of the GFS off the EC.

Previous Trackers attached as well. (Newest to oldest)

Edit:  Just noticed the date on my latest tracker.  I'll have to check if we had a storm this date back in 2006. 🙃

image.png.3f993341ef95080c12238b51c4fa4afb.pngimage.png.63050cb8b90c917515e41d6b2b8fc1d4.pngimage.png.ee7be20120cb4af6e050872ee0aa1f1b.png

Edited by Hiramite
  • LIKE 1
  • LAUGH 1
  • THANKS 1

4 hours ago, Ohiobuckeye45 said:

The long range NAM and RGEM. the NAM I take with a grain of salt with its typical over doing of things in the LR. Trackwise similar the RGEM a little east. But how does the NAM just not have any QPF under the low? Suddenly it's just become an all snow only storm, highly doubtful. The RGEM looks more realistic on several factors 

models-2023012206-f084.sn10_024h-imp.conus.gif

models-2023012206-f084.prateptype-imp.conus.gif

Well, I got NAMed again!

12 minutes ago, Ohiobuckeye45 said:

Calling complete BS on the NAM. Never is there a low with all snow on all sides and no rain under the low or out ahead, there's virtually no WAA. This not what radar would look like

ref1km_ptype.conus (1).png

Dry slot? I read somewhere in this morning Louisville NWS discussion about a very distinct dry slot appearing cutting of precip it may be overdone on the model but maybe that’s what’s it’s trying to indicate 

1 minute ago, RobB said:

With the over performance of this system today, I really can't whine if I miss on snows from here.  I probably would a little, but..You know..😁

Temps should be a little colder than shown which should help things be more interesting with this.

• LIKE 2