January 24-25, 2023 | Plains/MW/GL/OV Winter Storm

MesoscaleBanding

• Admin
1 minute ago, Ohiobuckeye45 said:

Depends on model of choice, I was just taking a look at that, looks like early morning through midday for front end on GFS. Timing keeps getting pushed back with a slower progression 

Well dangit. I thought it was like 1a.. need to go back and look.

9 minutes ago, SOMOSnow said:

12z GFS 4 day snowfall through Thursday night. 👇

Screenshot_20230121_102005_Photo Editor.jpg

Woof. Starting to look like a general 1-3” for me here in MI unless we get a significant NW shift that likely won’t happen. Another disappointment in this horrible winter. Hoping the Canadien can come out victorious.

I hope several of us get snow as this winter outside of a 4 day period in December has been terrible.

That said, I do think there needs to be caution in this type of setup. Lurking in the background, we are posting all of the 10:1 snow maps only. The problem is that that will represent the best case scenario in this setup.

To illustrate this, I'll use the hot off the press 12z GFS through hour 120, but every model shows the same thing.

First, the 10:1 map over the 4 day period. No surprise, it matches many of the maps posted before this one.

sn10_acc-imp.conus.thumb.png.80cb679e821bd15c33552ccaac3f84cb.png

Now let's look at the Kuchera map. Notice how the amounts are LESS on the Kuchera map. This suggests ratios in the 7-8:1 area vs the standard 10:1. Given how marginal the temps are within the entire column of air (even above freezing in some spots), this makes a lot of sense. Melting snow while falling compacts into wet cement on the ground.

snku_acc-imp.conus.thumb.png.5e86ddcee1bbf908dc83a6b2c5ced405.png

Now, both the 10:1 snow map AND the Kuchera snow map are translations of QPF to the appropriate ratio to estimate the amount of snowfall that will fall. Keyword: "fall" , but not necessarily "accumulate". To see accumulation, we should be looking at positive depth change. The positive depth change will tell you how much the ground depth will increase, but doesn't factor in ground melting after it's fallen. Looking at this map, you'll see that marginal air temps + marginal ground temps creates an uphill battle for snow to accumulate. It can happen, but it has to be falling heavy and for an extended period of time.

snodpc_acc-imp.conus.thumb.png.839d02a28269842dca808e77304fba28.png

Long story short, the answer to what's coming is always told through multiple data cuts, it is rarely told in one cut.

Edited by NKYSnowLover
  • LIKE 4
  • THUMBS UP 1
  • TROPHY 1
  • FIRE 1

3 minutes ago, NKYSnowLover said:

I hope several of us get snow as this winter outside of a 4 day period in December has been terrible.

That said, I do think there needs to be caution in this type of setup. Lurking in the background, we are posting all of the 10:1 snow maps only. The problem is that that will represent the best case scenario in this setup.

To illustrate this, I'll use the hot off the press 12z GFS through hour 120, but every model shows the same thing.

First, the 10:1 map over the 4 day period. No surprise, it matches many of the maps posted before this one.

Now let's look at the Kuchera map. Notice how the amounts are LESS on the Kuchera map. This suggests ratios in the 7-8:1 area vs the standard 10:1. Given how marginal the temps are within the entire column of air (even above freezing in some spots), this makes a lot of sense. Melting snow while falling compacts into wet cement on the ground.

Now, both the 10:1 snow map AND the Kuchera snow map are translations of QPF to the appropriate ratio to estimate the amount of snowfall that will fall. Keyword: "fall" , but not necessarily "accumulate". To see accumulation, we should be looking at positive depth change. The positive depth change will tell you how much the ground depth will increase, but doesn't factor in ground melting after it's fallen. Looking at this map, you'll see that marginal air temps + marginal ground temps creates an uphill battle for snow to accumulate. It can happen, but it has to be falling heavy and for an extended period of time.

Good post. 

3 minutes ago, NKYSnowLover said:

Good post. 

• THANKS 1

4 minutes ago, NKYSnowLover said:

Long story short, the answer to what's coming is always told through multiple data cuts, it is rarely told in one cut.

Yep yep! That's why I've been looking at snow depth maps myself. Not posting many though as I don't want to be too negative. We can all hope to see snows falling then enjoy accumulations that do occur 👍

• LIKE 1
  • LOVE 1