January 24-25, 2023 | Plains/MW/GL/OV Winter Storm

MesoscaleBanding

One would have to assume this is a storm you will want to use snow depth tool from the models and not the accumulation maps.   Ground will be pretty warm from the extended run of above normal temps.  So why a model output may say 6-8 inches, it likely would be a 3-5 inch event.   

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

8 minutes ago, RadioWX said:

One would have to assume this is a storm you will want to use snow depth tool from the models and not the accumulation maps.   Ground will be pretty warm from the extended run of above normal temps.  So why a model output may say 6-8 inches, it likely would be a 3-5 inch event.   

Depends on location - my area will have had over 100 consecutive hours with temps in the mid 20s to mid 30s by the time this storm arrives early Wednesday morning...also a shot at having some existing snowpack if things go just right tomorrow...

• LIKE 2
  • THUMBS UP 1

• Moderators

WPC extended from 2AM last night.  (LOL at CMC not available)

Extended Forecast Discussion NWS Weather Prediction Center College Park MD 159 AM EST Sat Jan 21 2023 Valid 12Z Tue Jan 24 2023 - 12Z Sat Jan 28 2023

Guidance/Predictability Assessment...

The 00Z guidance has improved its overall synoptic scale depiction across the continental U.S. through the middle of the week, although the 00Z CMC was not available at the time of this writing. The UKMET/GFS/ECMWF are in relatively close agreement with the low track through Thursday, and the 12Z CMC is generally northwest of the 00Z model consensus. Forecast uncertainty increases going into Friday and Saturday as the upper ridge eventually breaks down by shortwave energy from the Gulf of Alaska impinging upon it. At the time of the fronts/pressures creation, the 18Z GFS differed considerably from the model consensus for days 6 and 7, so it was not used beyond Thursday. A general deterministic model blend sufficed as a starting point through Wednesday, and an increase of the ensemble means up to about 60% by Saturday was incorporated to account for increasing mesoscale uncertainties.

• LIKE 1

• Moderators

And this is from yesterday.  I've been checking regularly and yesterday PM is the first time this storm showed.  I don't believe they update these over the weekend.

So, FWIW....

image.thumb.png.b9166d597f8930c3f6f5fc7a32f560e6.png

• LIKE 1

• Admin
24 minutes ago, Ohiobuckeye45 said:

Definitely weaker, I'd say the sub 990 phase is over, really the gfs was the only one showing that for a couple runs

Eps

trend-epsens-2023012100-f114.sfcmslp-meanmem.conus.gif

GFS seems to often be the too phased/over amped model these days.

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

14 hours ago, MesoscaleBanding said:

Kinda blows that there is zero hope of anything better than 8-10:1 snow ratios with this. I'll gladly take it, but this will be 'heart attack' snow to shovel for whoever gets it.

I moved a foot of 9:1 snow yesterday using a Yooper scooper ... No lifting needed! A new one is pricey, but I got a second hand one for free and it's been priceless with all the heavy wet snow we've had this year

Screenshot_20230121-081131.thumb.png.484863b509b73a3b7c7320ebb0029fab.png

• TROPHY 1
  • LOVE 1