January 24-25, 2023 | Plains/MW/GL/OV Winter Storm

MesoscaleBanding

the theme of the year has been for a weaker further SE system, but the trend over well....forever, has been the stronger storms (that stay strong) will always get their NW shift. So I think that's what to look for if hoping for the southeasterly track 

• Meteorologist
10 minutes ago, Ohiobuckeye45 said:

the theme of the year has been for a weaker further SE system, but the trend over well....forever, has been the stronger storms (that stay strong) will always get their NW shift. So I think that's what to look for if hoping for the southeasterly track 

The caveat to this is that you can get southeast trends due to shifts in the baroclinic zones while still maintaining a strong storm. IF the GFS is right about me getting 4-5" of snow then I'd expect the southern solutions to play out.

• Admin
1 minute ago, MesoscaleBanding said:

Kinda blows that there is zero hope of anything better than 8-10:1 snow ratios with this. I'll gladly take it, but this will be 'heart attack' snow to shovel for whoever gets it.

If it's white flakes, I'm on it like Donkey Kong. Don't care how heavy it is.

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

1 minute ago, MesoscaleBanding said:

Kinda getting interested in the Arctic clipper system that drops down behind this storm on the 27th

the differences in that timeframe between models is crazy, with the SE ridge of various strengths, and its under 200 hours its not like its weeks away.

Someone should create a thread just so we can say at one point during this horrific winter we had 3 going 😄 

• THUMBS UP 1

14 minutes ago, Ohiobuckeye45 said:

a little skeptical of this front end...

prateptype_cat-imp.us_ov.pngsfct-imp.us_ov.png

1 minute ago, mafa said:

Rates can cool the column

I remember an awesome front end hit a few years back that dropped about 5" in 3-4 hours along with thunder/lightning. Temps were low 30s for that one as well if I remember correctly