January 24-25, 2023 | Plains/MW/GL/OV Winter Storm

MesoscaleBanding

1 minute ago, Grace said:

0z Canadian (CMC) Ensembles just now finally loaded. Quiet a bit SE of 0z OP

floop-cmceens-2023012000.sfcmslp-meanmem.conus.gif.c78be3b437af5a64376d0aa128fdb872.gif

If 12z Ensemble mean is similar I'd disregard the 12z OP. 

The 12z CMC OP was NW of 0z. Frames are missing after that. 

gem_mslp_pcpn_us_fh84-126 (1).gif

• SKEPTICAL 1
  • FACEPALM 1
  • LAUGH 1
  • YUCK 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

• Meteorologist

So I do expect a north trend with this system. Not for the simple reason that the past 2 systems have trended north, but because the ensembles are still having a hard time with snowfall for Saturday's storm here, which is going to impact the early week storm. This is the GEFS snow mean for the 1st system. sn10_acc-mean-imp.us_c.thumb.png.b9d0550bd66f5659344b930cc59b1c60.png

The problem with the ensembles right now are that they're way to high with snow for the weekend system here. We will be dealing with marginal temps for just about everywhere except western Kansas. We'd need 1 to 2 inch per hour snow rates to be able to get accumulations this high, especially with how warm it has been of recent. When the ensembles are overdoing this storm it's going to impact the track of the next storm. Until the ensembles catch on to this I wouldn't trust them any more than I'd trust a single deterministic run.

snod-mean-imp.us_c.thumb.png.1d279054ea73a886f5e455e5274cb64a.png

Even the snow depth is likely too high, I seriously doubt we have any snow survive until Sunday evening. Highs in the mid to upper 30s with sun will melt even 2-3" of snow this time of year across central Kansas. Definitely won't have any snow here in Wichita with us expected to hit 40 on Sunday. Shave a good half inch off the snow depth and that's a significant change in where the baroclinic zone could set up. After Saturday we'll have a good idea where that baroclinic zone sets up. Perhaps the first storm will surprise me, but I'm not expecting much more than a rain/snow mix with perhaps a light dusting on grass. A lot of the southern solutions on the GEFS bank on us getting 6+ inches of snow Saturday here in Wichita. 

• LIKE 1