January 18-19, 2023 | Severe Weather

ElectricStorm

Second cell closer to my neck of the woods in north part of Hancock County has gone warned now with some hail. Things picked up pretty quickly once the cells got into the county. Constant thunder and lighting...pretty fantastic for January.

Things are poppin now...warnings in SW Ohio now, too.

Edited by NWsnowhio
  • THUMBS UP 1

7 minutes ago, junior said:

Wow just getting it here. Didn't expect much looking at the radar but man these are some strong gusts. Easily had some over 50mph here.

Now under a warning.

I bet.  Had a 34 MPH gust here at the house which is pretty good considering the houses all around and being in a valleyish area anyhow.  I have my garage door open and the wind actually blue the attic entry panel up into the attic opening.  Had to get on a ladder and use a broom to place it back 🙂

• FACEPALM 1
  • CYCLONE 1

No chance this Carries to northeast Ohio as anything but maybe a moderate rain sun went down and it is 51 with a 36 dew point in my backyard just nothing to work with other than whatever comes down from the upper levels with the front set up ended up being garbage but it’s January so can’t expect it to be great here 

Edited by Hassaywx1223

I got to hear some thunder and see a few strokes of lightning which is still impressive by January standards. I agree with OhioBuckeye and feel like only a slight risk was warranted. The dynamics were there for some bigger storms but since these storms are racing they never got to tap into the mid/upper levels of instability. 

Still a crazy thing to experience.

Edited by NWOhioChaser
  • THUMBS UP 1

45 minutes ago, ClicheVortex2014 said:

Nice to see my observation was supported with around 50mph gusts IMBY. Was quite a surprise as radar didn't look too bad.

Edited by junior

3 hours ago, NWOhioChaser said:

I got to hear some thunder and see a few strokes of lightning which is still impressive by January standards. I agree with OhioBuckeye and feel like only a slight risk was warranted. The dynamics were there for some bigger storms but since these storms are racing they never got to tap into the mid/upper levels of instability. 

Still a crazy thing to experience.

I saw one lightning flash and heard thunder at 5:30PM. As you might have guessed, I had not seen a true +RA in the Western US in January or any other winter month.

january severe1.jpg

2023_01_19_2226z_composite_radar.jpg

Edited by Chinook